Dead Metal

Pullman99

Re: Dead Metal

Post by Pullman99 »

Unrestored Mini makes £40,000 at auction

Bonhams has just sold this Mini (a 1959 Austin Se7en) at auction. 8th car off the line at Longbridge apparently.

I had a Mini (six in succession in fact) every bit as rusty as this one. Not worth quite as much though!

report here:

http://www.classicandperformancecar.com ... endon.html

And not quite in the same league as the $120 Million paid yesterday for Edvard Munch's "The Scream"!
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.
klingon

Post by klingon »

The Scream is probably the expression on the face of the poor sod who has to hot glue that Mini together again! :D
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

just came across this interesting little film which I thought some here might enjoy. The recreation of the Ferrari 156 "Sharknose" entered in GPs in 1961 and 1962 by Ecurie Nationale Belge for Olivier Gendebien was completed a couple of years ago for Belgian enthuisiast Jan Biekens. Hence the yellow! A definite favourite of mine (I still have the Corgi model I bought in the mid-1960s) and a great tribute to the skills of Jim Stokes and his team at Waterloovile in Hampshire. A reminder of a period in motorsport that is largely ignored by those following today's F1. Great stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjBal4nIpB4
Ian Robinson
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Oh wow! How gorgeous is that?
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

Renegadenemo wrote:Oh wow! How gorgeous is that?
Very!

Now, I wonder if they could do an R Type or two?
Ian Robinson
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I've always wanted to have enough time to build myself a Merc' gull wing from scratch. One of those 1950s jobs. The 'eyebrows over the wheel arches and the bulges on the bonnet would be interesting to make. Maybe one day.
Gullwing.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

turbocox

Post by turbocox »

All men dream: but not equally,Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

Well, that's a major reason why I would never buy a Merc. They actually seemed to enjoy destroying someone's hard work there! :evil:

It's not as if they make any money at all from the original now, aside from presumably the old trick of charging model makers and game designers to use the shape. They have no plans to make a new batch and if they had any shred of decency they'd have opened negotiations along the lines of "you can't sell it without our permission, we want €xxx per kit" rather than wanton destruction.

You could always build a shooting brake version. That'd really wind them up as it obviously isn't an original and I doubt any court would accept that it could be represented as such!
Matt in Mid Wales
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I have to admit to seeing their point. You let one company knock out a replica and soon there's a proliferation of misproportioned, bastard-children of an iconic work of art and an old Austin Maestro. Besides, I'd like to see the long arm of Merc' reach into my sleepy pit village and nick my car project. That'd make the local papers. :D

Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

Hence suggesting that they should have negotiated to licence this one. It looked the part, and by only allowing licenced replicas there'd be a way to stop cheap and nasty ones.

IMO the only licencing agreements with replicas and models should be that they need to be accurate. The old ATSF railroad in the USA was very happy when Lionel Trains started selling O scale versions of their EMD F3 locos in the "Warbonnet" scheme, it was essentially free advertising to every household who bought one that Christmas. Nowadays their successors get very stroppy and charge fees for model manufacturers to use their logos.
Matt in Mid Wales