Dead Metal

Renegadenemo

Re: Dead Metal

Post by Renegadenemo »

It was at Filton until recently, certainly within the last 2 years but I am informed that it is now at Sandown, Isle of Wight.
Yup - Steve's place.

http://www.airframes.co.uk/default.aspx
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

Renegadenemo wrote:I like to see a good car restoration and I've been involved in making up parts for quite a few but the best bit is always when the engine fires up after a rebuild.
The louder the better too! Listening (you could hardly avoid hearing it no matter what the other cars were doing) to Jim Clark's Indy 500 winning Lotus 38 firing up at Goodwood last year was a superb experience. We are to be treated to another burst of the Indy Ford V8 (amongst other famous engines of course) again this year as they are celebrating the centenary of the Indianapolis 500. Another Lotus 38 too. Jimmy's STP liveried car that finished second in 1966 (to Graham Hill's Lola T90) is to be driven by another more recent Scottish Indy winner, Dario Franchitti. Can't wait!

Lotus 38/1 at Goodwood Festival of Speed 2010

Meanwhile, for E Type lovers everywhere, this is the ex-Lofty England car - chassis No. 4 - at Race Retro this year. This is another CMC restoration, like the Lindner Nocker car, and is a tribute the the superb craftsmanship of their team at Bridgnorth. Truly magnificent.

Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

This is another CMC restoration, like the Lindner Nocker car, and is a tribute the the superb craftsmanship of their team at Bridgnorth. Truly magnificent.
Couldn't agree more. Quite exquisite. I'll be chuffed if our job turns out half as pretty. Mind you, ours was a bit of dog to begin with once you get up close so we can get away with anything...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
StewDurham

Post by StewDurham »

Pullman99 wrote: The louder the better too! Listening (you could hardly avoid hearing it no matter what the other cars were doing) to Jim Clark's Indy 500 winning Lotus 38 firing up at Goodwood last year was a superb experience. We are to be treated to another burst of the Indy Ford V8 (amongst other famous engines of course) again this year as they are celebrating the centenary of the Indianapolis 500. Another Lotus 38 too. Jimmy's STP liveried car that finished second in 1966 (to Graham Hill's Lola T90) is to be driven by another more recent Scottish Indy winner, Dario Franchitti. Can't wait!

I went to the indianapolis museum to see this car once. Got there and was told "It's out visiting - it's in UK at the moment". DOH! Still a great museum though.
Good luck to the BBP team, makes me proud to be British (and a North-easterner to boot!). Damn fine work, chaps!
garyharman

Post by garyharman »

It is a beautiful machine, and there is another pic of it here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garyharman ... 375155501/
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

Now that is a very sad sight.

As some readers in Cumbria will know, there was a fairly localised campaign going on over the last few years with the aim of returning HMS Invincible to Barrow-in-Furness. Although well supported by their website visitors, they did not seem to have the support of the MOD nor that of a somewhat inward looking and fairly disinterested local authority. BAe Systems seem not to have commented very much either.

The big problem would have been meeting revenue costs so it would have needed a truly national campaign and support. Hotel conversion was mooted at one stage: imagine staying on board an aircraft carrier as a base for visiting the Lakes! Although, perhaps not if you're from visiting from Argentina! :lol:

The name lives on in the area, however, as I arranged for it to be applied to one of Barrow's Stagecoach Optare Solo minibuses (along with 17 other famous Barrow built ships)! Fleet number 47139 in case anyone needed to know.
Last edited by Pullman99 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Robinson
Jordangbr

Dead Metal

Post by Jordangbr »

The thing is it would cost a fortune to preserve and maintain HMS Invincible and in the current climate the MOD needs as much money as possible so donation was a no go. HMS Onyx is mouldering away not 50 yards from where I'm sat as I write this and I can see the old O Boat going under the cutters torch before long. If they can't raise the money to preserve an O Boat Invincible never had a chance....
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

Mike Bull wrote:HMS Invincible the aircraft carrier to HMS Invincible the minibus, what a tribute!
The minibus has an interpretive panel in the interior of the vehicle. The other vessels featured range from the steam yacht Aries of 1873 (the first ship to be completed by the Barrow Iron Shipbuilding Company) to today's HMS Astute including one 'bus with an exterior graphic that illustrates the story of Barrow's development of submarines for the Royal Navy.

Ah well...the former HMS Hermes is still extant!
Jordangbr wrote:The thing is it would cost a fortune to preserve and maintain HMS Invincible and in the current climate the MOD needs as much money as possible so donation was a no go. HMS Onyx is mouldering away not 50 yards from where I'm sat as I write this and I can see the old O Boat going under the cutters torch before long. If they can't raise the money to preserve an O Boat Invincible never had a chance....
Yes. Huge amounts of money. I think that there was a bid to use her as an industrial unit (!) on the Duddon at Millom. Seems unlikely somehow. I think hotel use was also mentioned although possibly not likely to attract many visitors from Argentina!

I haven't followed the HMS Onyx saga for a while. She was purchased, I believe, by a member of the Barrow branch of the Submariner's Association with the aim of establishing a Submarine Heritage Centre at Barrow. Not sure if it was ever intended to link this to Barrow's Dock Museum but there had been some study a few years previously of preserving HMS Valiant - the first British designed nuclear-powered submarine - at Barrow. It always seemed strange to me that a Cammel Laird built boat should be preserved at Barrow although I do know that there had been a previous scheme to repatriate HMS Olympus from Canada.
Ian Robinson
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Steady Mike :D
Keep Calm and Carry On Matey
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Andrew453

Post by Andrew453 »

The history of ship preservation is littered with good intentions that quickly turned rust and rot, and you don't have to look too far to find examples of enthusiasm triumphing over common sense.
Ongoing disasters include the Carrick/City of Adelaide saga which has degenerated into an embarrassing fiasco at Irvine, HMS Plymouth which is rusting away in Birkenhead, the Earl of Zetland which is looking very sorry for herself in North Shields, Unicorn which is rotting away in Dundee with her back all but broken, Ryde which was broken up last year and Manxman which was recently scrapped in Sunderland. Even keeping an historic vessel operational is no guarantee of survival - Waverley is struggling to make ends meet as operating costs rise and revenue declines, and may well have to be laid up.
Proposals like the one to turn Invincible into a viable hotel are, as anyone who has been aboard one of these ships would know, frankly absurd. I don't blame the local authority in Barrow for giving it a very wide berth as they would doubtless have been left holding the baby when it all, inevitably, went pear shaped. More recently, there have been predictable, but equally daft, proposals to turn Ark Royal into an hotel and heliport in central London. :roll: