Dead Metal

Pullman99

Re: Dead Metal

Post by Pullman99 »

I am sure that many Forum members would like to add congratulations to Andy Middlehurst and his restoration team on their success in the Octane sponsored International Historic Motoring Awards for 2013. His magnificent and sympathetic restoration of the 1966 US Grand Prix winning Lotus 43/1 has been voted "Restoration of the Year". The announcement was made at the awards ceremony held at London's St Pancras Renaissance Hotel last Thursday. The 1935 Blue Bird was also up for an award, but the "Car of the Year" category - voted by the public - went to a recreation of the Bugatti 57SC Aerolithe

Further story here and a super start-up of 16 cylinder music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlgviVH77PE

Now, I'm sure there should be a category for a big blue boat...
Last edited by Pullman99 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Now, I'm sure there should be a category for a big blue boat...
No reason why not. She's a historic vehicle the same as any other and we can soon add some wheels if it'll help. I keep hearing whispers from the museologists about this or that award once she's finished but I couldn't tell you what they are.
It would be gratifying to have some sort of official seal placed on our work one day, though, mainly because we've made it up as we've gone along and it would suggest that we've not made too many obvious missteps, but even if no one cared we'd still be chuffed with what we've built.

Righty's sponson top really began to take shape on Saturday. Half new (nailed that shape at last though it has to be made horrid to match the reference pic's) and half original. It's well on the way to going back.
Sponson Top.jpg
Sponson Top Outside.jpg
We have the next section aft of this too so this sponson top will be more original than not when it's done.

One more thing - is it me or is it rare for a project to show stuff looking so raggedy and half finished? So often I look at metal-shaping forums and websites of custom car builders, aircraft restorers and so on and so forth, but you never see a pile of test pieces under the bench or anything looking crap and half-done, so either we're a bit amateurish and get there through just keep plugging away, or we're more up-front than most. Not worked that one out yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I think we're just honest and always have been- we show everything, warty bits and all.
Hmmm - that sponson nose is going to have to be warty if it's to look like the original then folk will say, Blubird was a study in perfection and look at the half-assed job these amateurs have done on it, nothing fits properly!

Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Original is good to go lads, as she was on the morning of January 4th 1967 before she started the final run. Warts and all bumps and dings :D
Novie
"I've gone"
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Original is good to go lads, as she was on the morning of January 4th 1967 before she started the final run. Warts and all bumps and dings
Quite agree, but there's just something dissatisfying about applying great artistry to making something perfect to Ken's original drawing then applying even more to make it look like one of Micky Bullfrog's old takeaway cartons under a coat of blue paint!

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Renegadenemo wrote:Hmmm - that sponson nose is going to have to be warty if it's to look like the original then folk will say, Blubird was a study in perfection and look at the half-assed job these amateurs have done on it, nothing fits properly!
Whatever you do, it is going to attract criticism from some quarters. It just always happens that way. As I have said on threads relating to my own project, you will never please everybody.

The only thing you can do is stick to your own brief and see it through, then put it out there as a job done with the best of intentions and to the best of your abilities.

I, personally, don't like the idea of adding artificial dings and dents. Having it in the same spec as it was in on the 4th of January 1967 would be more to my own personal liking, as dints and dents are the result of momentary - split-second - accidents made at the time. Going to considerable pains decades later to recreate them in South Sheilds seems to my mind contrived ... but that is my own personal opinion on a nuance and is not a dig at the fine work being done.

Nigel
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I shouldn't think we'll walk around with a hammer and a photo bashing lumps out of the finished job though the duck-dent and smeared seagull raise interesting do-we, don't-we questions. I think it's more about capturing the slightly rivet-weary, well used essence of K7 on her final outing. Yes, she left Norris Bro's under a coat of shiny new paint but it couldn't hide it.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I think when we start tightening things like the sponson tops down with the requisite million screws, Bluebird's big blue leather button-backed sofa character will emerge and she'll look just fine. :D
That may apply to the parts you're building!

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

You're the one always telling us that we mustn't sanitise the thing...so stop making the new bits so good, Smith! :lol:
That's the problem with having a drawing. It's either right or it isn't. Next time hide the drawing and give me a pic instead.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

...unless it's one for the intake formers, drawn by one 'DLS'.
Oooooh - how could you suggest a glaring clanger with his maths. He's the Norris that time forgot. Wash your mouth out with soap at once, Bull.