Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Richie

Re: Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by Richie »

Looking good Wayne !
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
midlife

Post by midlife »

Thanks Richie🇬🇧👍
Quiet night tonight, managed to get some epoxy on the way home but decided to finish off the front of the main frame, out on the beer tomorrow so I'll carry on tidying up the glued joints on Thursday.
Cheers
Wayne
IMG_1392.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Toleman

Re: Bluebird K7 model, Replicast

Post by Toleman »

Renegadenemo wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:07 am
I'm about to start a 1/43rd Replicast K7 kit and have a few colour questions (no not the blue). Were the bottom wet surfaces of the boat/sponsons bare aluminium, what colour was the seat/headrest and safety harnesses? Did the headrest still have the cutout for the oxygen pipe?
Thanks in advance Roger.
Hi Roger, and welcome to the forum. Please, ask away - one of us will keep you right.

Planing wedges were plain aluminium, underside was graphite grey and the seat and headrest were trimmed in a dark blue, possibly Navy (Mike?). No idea about the harness. The cutout in the headrest for the Siebe Gorman reg' was there 'til the last.
Thanks for the info. Back in the late 1960's I used to sail with my dad and the go fast trick was to paint the wet area of the boat with graphite paint to lessen the water resistance. Was this the same paint on the bottom of K7?

The forward sloping area on the sponsons (planing shoes?) were the blue or bare aluminium and also the forward sloping area of the hull and dragons teeth blue or aluminium?

Thanks Roger
Toleman

Post by Toleman »

Replicast K7
midlife

Post by midlife »

Nice bit of info that Mike, cheers!

This blue foam is a pita, the dust gets absolutely everywhere...
IMG_2519.JPG
This Gorilla glue is very good, apply glue to one side & water (yes water) to the other, press together & an hour later the glue turns into foam & it properly stuck together, not like a lot of these other foam safe glues.
IMG_2520.JPG
I've bought a couple of rubber moulds off eBay, press Miliput into the shapes, scrape off excess & the next morning you have various sized rivet heads ready to glue where required, think I'd better get a production line going!!
IMG_2508.JPG
Cheers
Wayne
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Something still not right with the shape at the front. It should be narrower at the bottom than at the top by that foremost frame.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
midlife

Post by midlife »

I'll post some square on pics when I get home, I want to get it right!!
Trying to find a linear actuator 6volt 6 inch throw, anyone know of a good source?
Cheers
Wayne
midlife

Post by midlife »

Can't believe it, I mentioned a linear actuator on here & 20 mins later I found what I need on eBay for £20, result!!!
IMG_2533.PNG
Cheers
Wayne
midlife

Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by midlife »

Hi Bill, here's some better pics, where am I going wrong?

And a couple of pics with a 1/4 scale helmet in roughly the correct position.
Cheers
Wayne

midlife

Post by midlife »

Hi Mike,
The plan I've used only had one former ahead of F15 and that was half way down the cockpit. I've tried to make the frame a rough approximation of Fred's plan & ive put bulkhead/formers independently at positions where either the top or bottom surface changes shape. F19 has been left intentionally short as it is going to strengthen the transition point in the floor. Plan of attack is to make the floor out of a single sheet of fibreglass that I'm going to make on a sheet of glass to ensure it's properly flat & smooth, under the nose will be a piece of the same material that will overlap the floor to create the step & be as strong as possible.
I would have loved to make it more accurate but weight is a major concern on my model with the limited funds I can hide from the Mrs.
I have found a model turbine engine in the States with 90lb thrust which would be awesome but the $9k price tag means that it would have to be a retirement present to myself, that's 6 years away though, gulp...
Cheers
Wayne