Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Lucas

Bluebird Dimensions and Schematics

Post by Lucas »

Hi guys! we are a group of french college students. We wanted to study the bluebird K7 for a project. Do any of you have schematics of the machine, to use them for simulations? ( size, design...)
Thank you for your help!
Ernie Lazenby

Re: Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

1/8th Crusader model tested at speed. As I found in 2003 with a 1/12th scale model, a time when I developed my theory as to why Crusader crashed, I very recently repeated the crash with the 1/8th model. The forward planning shoe on the full size boat was not the problem it was the position/size/shape of the steering rudder that was at fault coupled with instability of the boat. Much more of this in Steve Holters book. He became very interested back in 2003 when I contacted him about my theory and he's developed it. The model needed a small rudder at the back to help low speed steering but leaves the water as the rear sponsons rise to full planning position. Much better now. Much detailed work and painting to do now I know it works and how to run it.
I have not fitted a gas turbine engine for reasons I will be explaining in a 5000 word article to be published soon in 'UK based Model Boats Magazine' Subject - Gas Turbine engines in model boats.
Its been an interesting project.
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

An interesting collection; Forum member Rich 1/8th Bluebird with gas turbine engine. Also his large model of Spirit of Australia fitted with a gas turbine. My 1/6th Bluebird, gas turbine powered (now owned by my son Ian) and my Grandsons 1/12th scale Bluebird which was the very first Radio control model of Touchwoods kit. (I built it back around 1996 just after the company started offering it) 1/8th scale Crusader, large brushless motor powered.(It may get a gas turbine before I fall off the perch)
DSCN6519.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

This shows the major difference in size between K7 and Crusader. Crusader model at 1/8th scale. K7 at 1/6th scale. Crusader was a big boat!
DSCN6509.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DamienB

Post by DamienB »

Well, I kinda lost the mojo on this one (Record Models 1/72 K7 in final form, kit REC7201) as the shape issues became more and more apparent whilst building, so it ended up going back in its box and being forgotten about for 8 years. Until today - finally finished the beast off. New water deflectors scratch built from clear plastic sheet (the kit ones being not even remotely accurate), radio aerial and pitot from metal wire. Decals a mish-mash of good and bad but life has moved on and I'll live with them!

From these angles the shape problems don't look too bad but basically the nose is too thin, too curved but also too pointy, the intakes too small, the fuselage not bulged enough, the sponsons too straight and smaller than they should be, and I had already corrected the underside, rudder & water brake and sponson stabilising fins. The kit looked so promising in the box but alas, no cigars. One final annoyance was the texture of the resin, which had a finely dimpled effect overall - despite lots of priming and sanding and paint and more sanding and varnish, it still has a naff rough appearance. Anyway, hardly matters, the kit is long since OOP and pretty much impossible to find now.
K7boats

Post by K7boats »

Still looks good dont think any kits were spot on I've been on with my model over 7 years changing the year set up seeing different things I'd missed,but it will get Finnish one day :) but nice model of it's time looks good
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

There's not a model kit that even gets close shape-wise and the number of scratch built models that miss something fundamental is significant too. The most common mistake is making the air intakes semicircular, they're actually flat on top, and no one ever gets the nose right. We made the nose four times on the full size version before we were happy with it so it's by no means easy to get all those shapes right.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
K7boats

Post by K7boats »

Yep all the toys the cn7 car the k7 boats were never correct but they were good model toys for the time the 50 60s collector's pieces now , my boat changed every time I went onto the BBP website :) and looked at the boat progress then I decided one day to change it totally to the spec of the double record breaking year so it was like starting again!
Richie

Post by Richie »

What is the largest “model“ gas turbine available ? What’s its thrust capabilities ?
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
mickday

Post by mickday »

Probably the Jetcat P1000 Pro which has 1,100N thrust

https://www.jetcat.de/en/products/produ ... /P1000-PRO