Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Micawber

Re: Bluebird Models

Post by Micawber »

I've been browsing this forum and the site in general for some time but what with one thing and another have only recently registered.

Anyway, the arrival this morning of a 1/12th scale K7 Touchwood model that requires some restoration that my wife recently picked up off the 'bay has given me a big enough kick up the bum to put finger to keyboard to say hello.

Steve (in not so sunny Suffolk).
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hi Steve, welcome. I'm sure you'll find a few snippets on here to help you get your model right.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

So, I now know who out bid me!!! :o
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
Micawber

Post by Micawber »

f1steveuk wrote:So, I now know who out bid me!!! :o
My wife can be a formidable woman lol!
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Micawber wrote:Anyway, the arrival this morning of a 1/12th scale K7 Touchwood model that requires some restoration that my wife recently picked up off the 'bay has given me a big enough kick up the bum to put finger to keyboard to say hello.
I don't like to see the words bum and finger in the same sentence, but that notwithstanding, a word of praise for Stuart Delf, the proprietor of Touchwood Models, who is also a member of the Quicksilver team ...

Stuart and his son - Stuart! - played a big part in helping us with the construction and modification work needed to support our windtunnel test programme when we were assessing Ken Norris's reverse four-pointer concept. The two Stuarts also had at least one day with us in the windtunnel at Southampton University, installing the model in the tunnel prior to test - although I'm not sure if that was one of the days when Ken himself was actually present.

We have various Touchwood Models gracing our HQ at East Midlands Airport to this day - including a big model of Bluebird K3. We used to have one of Stuart's big models of K7 on display, too, and at one stage we had that 3D-scanned by laser to reverse-engineer it into 3D CAD and then ran the CAD model through a CFD programme to retrospectively assess K7's aerodynamic performance and get a unique insight into aerodynamic factors which may have contributed to Donald's accident.

It says a lot for the accuracy of Stuart's Bluebird model that professional aerodynamicists who had previously worked on ThrustSSC could use it as a basis for such an advanced study for Quicksilver.
67revamp

Post by 67revamp »

ace_chris wrote:Maybe it was something Adrian said but I know there was definitely talk of funds being donated to the bluebird project.

I think the CN7 model you refer to was the erm source of inspiration...! Chris :roll:
Hellow..

i can certainly remember Adrian telling me back in 2003 that some of the funds from his then very new 1,24 scale kits would be donated to the course,though I comisioned him to build me one of the very first 1/6th scale gas turbine examples that I fitted out about the same time Marshall/Gina got there's

Good lord is it severn year back.

Graeme.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Maybe it was something Adrian said but I know there was definitely talk of funds being donated to the bluebird project.
Didn't happen...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
67revamp

Post by 67revamp »

Oh well. Naughty Adrian.... I didnt eather,thowe I provided Pier Cottage and the bear a couple of years on the trot.
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Maybe it's the 1960 version, post crash?? :mrgreen:
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

I will save my 30 quid then Mike, I will make one out of cornflake boxes ,which i should have done for the K7 model. I would have been 30 quid up and have a more accurate model.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong