Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Richie

Re: Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by Richie »

It lives on Ernie that’s all that matters !
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
RichM

Post by RichM »

Yes - it was a tad windy, with full left helm she was still turning right...
Still busy adding the details, Ernie’s done all the hard work, I just have to do him justice with finishing it off now, watch this space...
Rich
Ps, see attached pics, K7 and crusader, both at 1/8th scale.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

They look great!

We're going to have some deadly accurate dimensions for Crusader soon if any other modelers fancy a crack at it and of course there's nothing we don't know about the big blue one.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
RichM

Post by RichM »

Cheers! The dreaded colour topic may pop up again though! currently going with Rover Vermillion red (think MGB!) here’s a bit I tested on a sponson...
If anyone has another colour suggestion let me know!
Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Only an opinion as l'm by no means any expert but having studied as many Crusader pics as l can find of late that colour you've tried looks a little brown to me, bit like terra cotta. Could just be the light/pic of course but all the colour pics l've seen suggest a very bright scarlet colour.

20190328_190248.jpg

RichM

Post by RichM »

The light’s not helping, but you’re right, it does seem darker. I think it’s another ‘bluebird blue’ - every colour photo I’ve seen it appears slightly different. Still, I have gas turbines to worry about before I get to that stage!
RichM

Post by RichM »

We need Mr Holter to confirm, but I’m sure the only reference I’ve read refers to it as ‘goldfish red’ - just a question of finding out which goldfish they got the colour match from!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Well that helps! :lol:

My eldest is a goldfish expert. She has a shoal of them in her bedroom in a huge tank and one has a bright red head so maybe we could catch it and put the RAL colour chart against it?

Seriously, though, when goldfish do a red colour it's a very bright red so even the 'goldfish' reference might be more useful than it at first appears.

Bluebird blue was an absolute nightmare as you say because no two photos looked the same and even when we finally bottomed it through a lot of science you can still put it in different lights and photograph it with different cameras and never get the same result twice.
A word from the wise here, and we did this many times. Sometimes you just have to make the call, stick with your best guess and promise to fix it when incontrovertible evidence that you got it wrong is presented. That works.

RichM

Post by RichM »

I’ve got a fishing net somewhere ;)

Funny you should say that, I had the RAL chart out last night - there’re a few possibilities. It’s just me, but the models always look wrong in bright red, but I guess that’s just how it was.

Until some ROV footage surfaces (or parts of crusader :shock: ) to prove otherwise, a nice scarlet red it shall be!
RichM

Post by RichM »

In a side note, I wonder if they got the colour scheme from the car - could be a similar colour to this??