Bluebird & Other Scale Models

RichM

Re: Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by RichM »

Siting a bit high in the water without fuel or batteries, but had the 1/8th turbine K7 out for a blast yesterday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Looking good Rich.

The engine cover fits just like the 1:1 K7 ! Watch for water ingress.

We need to sort that on the 1:1 amongst other things.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Richie

Post by Richie »

Well, I have started the 1:200 HMS Hood. Hull bracing is in, decks are on, rudder attaches and cutlass bearings fitted. I went to airbrush this using AK Paints....not happy with the product at all... very poor indeed, looks like I will have to flat it back and start over !

The model kit itself is fantastic quality and there has been minimal work required to clean off the flashing etc so far.

Once I get my paint woes sorted, I can flash over where the steel portions of the hull come through the wooden decks with 507B grey.

Great stuff !! Roll on the photo etch !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Ten years after I sold it, its back home. Miss England 11. Bought it back for my grandson.
DSCN6783.JPG
DSCN6784.JPG
DSCN6785.JPG
DSCN6786.JPG
DSCN6789.JPG
DSCN6790.JPG
DSCN6787.JPG
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

The scale rear rudder assembly was a pig to get right. Front rudder simple. Fully radio control and quick. Should it be on static display or in the water I ask?
Richie

Post by Richie »

If it has capacity to run Ernie I would let her run !

Having closed the decks in on HMS Hood I am starting to think I should have installed an ESC, prop shafts and rudder.

It’s done now for me, no turning back.
RichM

Post by RichM »

The HMS hood is looking the business Richie!
Thanks for posting the pictures of ME2 Ernie - she definitely needs to be back on the water - I just need to find some motivation to get cracking with mine now... yours is a work of art.
Ernie has already seen this, but included is a pic of my deck cleat presumed to be from ME2.
Me and Ernie removed it from it’s base only to find traces of grey paint underneath...
Richie

Post by Richie »

After persevering much with these god awful AK paints, I have some colour onto the hull, unlike solvent based paints where I can shoot a dust layer followed by a good base coat, this water based stuff takes many many many light layers to build up any depth of colour... furthermore it scratches so easily !

I have yet to add the boot top, I will do that with brush I think... the grey used is a source of discussion, my research has led me to believe that the hull sides and superstructure were all Admiralty 507A dark grey, along with main turrets A - C, my source wasn’t the HMS Hood association so I am pretty happy with the information.

Of course finding the supplier with the correct shade of 507A was a different matter...sound familiar ?

The AK paints were pretty close hence why I chose them.

Looking at the photo etch components, I may need to etch prime then first, has anyone used photo etched brass ?
FB4DACCC-3C36-461C-9350-6D5B85A61A54.jpeg
Last edited by Richie on Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richie

Post by Richie »

NOTE: Why does the forum turn images taken by Apple devices upside down ?
Richie

Post by Richie »

Well, finally saved up for the Pontos 1:200 detail up pack for HMS Hood, some wooden decks and about 16kg of brass and resin is now en route from Australia.

So if you would just like to excuse me I am going to go and sit down and breath from a brown paper bag !!