Bluebird & Other Scale Models

midlife

Post by midlife »

After a great deal of soul searching I've decided to bin the idea of a ducted fan & go for an electric prop drive, I've ordered all the necessary bits & I'm patently waiting for the postman to arrive.
Xmas has been busy with family visits but I've managed to sneak off into the attic once or twice to progress my grandsons 1/12 scale K7.

I'm going to Conniston next week so hopefully I'll get to have a good close look at Ernie Lazenby's K7 at some point.
Cheers
Wayne

midlife

Re: Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by midlife »

Mike Bull wrote:
midlife wrote:
I'm going to Conniston next week so hopefully I'll get to have a good close look at Ernie Lazenby's K7 at some point.

Where Ernie's model triumphed was in how well it works on the water, but as a scale model, it still has many of the common issues- things like the tail fin, nose and intakes aren't right at all.

Hi Mike,
I'm aware that the air intakes & nose are the wrong shape, I've not looked at the tail tbh, my interest is purely on how it gets up on plane so well.
I know absolutely buggerall about boats or the science behind how hydroplanes work (I'm trying to learn though), so I've oversized the planning surfaces on my K7 in a way that I can reduce their size easily if needed.
I've ordered the plans cd from Fred so hopefully my next larger attempt should be a lot better.
I drew out the sponsons for the grandsons tonight & I've gone for double scale lift, it's a bit of a hotchpotch as it doesn't have a raised plane at the rear due to the oddball prop I've had to use, it will be interesting to see if it works ok though.
Cheers
Wayne

Richie

Post by Richie »

Go with. Brushless motor, something like a 4.5

Will send the thing into orbit ! Used one in my sons RC car which was ridiculous to say the least
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

midlife wrote:After a great deal of soul searching I've decided to bin the idea of a ducted fan & go for an electric prop drive, I've ordered all the necessary bits & I'm patently waiting for the postman to arrive.
Good move. A ducted fan relies on shifting a large volume of air at relatively low velocity and won't take kindly to the airflow being restricted in any way. I bought a very powerful ducted fan for my Speedline K7 kit (enough thrust to fly across the room with controllers and batteries in tow when I accidentally gave it full power while not attached to anything) but when I experimented with scale intakes and jet pipe, it was so strangled that it gave no measurable thrust at all.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
midlife

Post by midlife »

Annnd relax, looks like I've made the right decision, cheers chaps!
I've been out today & bought a few goodies and typically the postman came to deliver my drivetrain goodies while I was out, grrrr....
I'll pop to the local sorting office later & try to pick them up.
All I have left to buy now is the battery & some wiring.
Cheers
Wayne

Richie

Post by Richie »

Go onto www.hobbyking.com and buy some high powered Li Po batteries ;)
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
midlife

Post by midlife »

Thanks for the link Richie, what a site that is, I can feel my bank manager starting to worry hehe.
Cheers
Wayne

Richie

Post by Richie »

Yep I have a ceiling full of RC warbirds and other aircraft in my sons room, not to mention FPV setups, and his RC car stuff
midlife

Post by midlife »

Do you want another son Richie? I need toys!!
To be honest, I didn't expect this stuff to cost so much, but you get what you pay for I guess.

Time to start drilling holes I guess.
Cheers
Wayne

longarmedgibbon

Post by longarmedgibbon »

Hi i am brining to coniston on the 4 th my dads (ernie lazenby) big turbine k7 with a look to running it if the lake is mirror smooth and I have access to a recovery boat. I will be grateful of any assistence anyone can give me to help run it as im comming from middlesbrough on my own and the model is hard to handle and i will have equipment with me.If conditions arent good enough for a run i will be running the engine up static at various points in the day. Anyone is more that welcome to look inside the model to see how dad got it all working and i will explain how dad got it to work so well. If i do put it on the water it will only be very breifly as i dont want to risk any damage to it. I will also have working k3 and k4 with me also built by my dad ernie lazenby. . If any one would like to private message me you can get me on facebook, i. The driving instructor on there. Regards IAN LAZENBY