Bluebird & Other Scale Models

alslad

Re: Bluebird Models

Post by alslad »

rob565uk wrote:Reminds me of a prescription I once heard of for a cold:

"Hot water, honey, single malt whisky - repeat dose until patient laughs and sings"

Doesn't cure the cold but stops you thinking about it :D
My dad still uses that "prescription" to this day! I'm sure that's the reason I am partial to the odd single malt - I always remember there was a plus side to being full of cold as a kid. Much more effective than beechams or lemsip ;)
Treat life's problems like your dog would... if you can't eat it or sh*g it, just pee on it and walk away

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Instead of making models in it you ought to be re-decorating that bedroom of yours!
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Eh?

look at the picture you uploaded... Oh, never mind.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Oh! Daft sod!
Aye, that'd be me...

bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

I like the decor Mike. Keep it i say.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

So Mike after all the good work recorded on this forum I cannot tempt you to put together the Speedline CN7 model that I have in a box ..... ....?

Malcolm

and the blue was .... ??
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

I take it that your first answer cannot be changed. And the colour of the air surrounding your assembly site may have been the same 'Halfords shade'.

Malcolm
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations

JackTheGeordieLad

Post by JackTheGeordieLad »

i see what the laughing was for now, Mike! Still.. i'll give it a go. Im not skilled enough to get it spot on but as long as its recognisable as CN7 im happy! :P
My K7 model is FAR from perfect but i don't really care, you can see that its Bluebird so im happy :P
Shy Bairnes Get Nowt!

Excelsior2007

Re: Bluebird Plans - Model maker

Post by Excelsior2007 »

Mike Bull wrote:I've just finished a 1/24 Speedline kit of K7 for workshop colleague Andy, so thought I would share.

Although I've built models all my life, I shied away from this kit as I'm not a fan of 'garage' kits at the best of times, and I'd not been impressed when I saw the contents of the kit online once. Well, Andy foisted his kit on me one day and I could hardly say no to a mate, so I rolled my sleeves up and dived in! Let's see, what's in the box...

Hull going together, tail fin (very poor shape as supplied) in place, and two bits of thin dowel as supplied for the spars.

I did what I could to add some life to the otherwise totally smooth hull by adding a few bits here and there to give it some detail and ultimately, some depth.

More bits added, and the intakes carefully opened up. I elected to leave the canopy solid as supplied and just hint at it with paint. Very poor that a vac-formed canopy isn't included for the RRP.

Spars on and seagull damage applied. You'll note that an approximate waterline is marked on the kit- this is because I intended the model to be set into a base as if afloat, so anything below the waterline was ignored. Plus, the bottom half of the hull was a different length from the top half and the transom shape as supplied was all wrong too! :roll:

The sponsons ready to go on.

Some gubbins at the back.

The basic boat all together-

-and getting some filler primer. LOTS of filler primer!

After much consideration re. colour choice, I decided to paint it blue.

Then I masked a certain area off and applied some different blue...

I added a lot of the intake/engine cover screws with a little point dipped in silver paint, and various other chips and scuffs, all to give the thing some life. Half the stickers provided with the boat were undersized- the sponson infinity symbols in particular were half the size they should be, so I muddled through with markings I made myself. Then it got set into it's 'lake' (a layer of interior filler, painted and heavily varnished to represent water)

Dented spars, funny coloured intakes, tatty paint on the fasteners...dare we do that on the 1/1 scale version? :lol:

Didn't turn out too bad in the end. Lots of artistic license and compromise, but Andy professed himself pleased, so that was nice. With thanks to our illustrious project leader, who hacked up his old bicycle pump in the name of the model having a jetpipe! :D

I've got this kit too. No idea when I'll get it finished though.

klingon

Post by klingon »

I paid £29.99 for one of these pieces of crap-gave it to one of the UK's top model makers Gordon Mitchell who regularly writes for Model Maker magazine-he took a look at it and threw it in the fire and offered to scratch build me one-said it would be easier than sorting -his words-"That piece of malformed buckled up shite!"- :shock:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"