Bluebird & Other Scale Models

conistoncollie

Re: Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by conistoncollie » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:58 pm

Just a thought for all the modellers out there. I would be happy to open the workshop on a Sunday on our day off if a group of you wanted to get organised to visit. You could measure and photograph and I could talk you through all the shapes that modellers get wrong most of the time. Maybe our chief of anal widgetry, Mike, would also come in to run a master-class on how to get the details spot on?

Just an idea so let us know if it's of interest.
sounds like an excellent idea.

Black Knight

Post by Black Knight » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:16 pm

Thanks for those Ernie. A stunning model.
I chatted to Fred many years ago, he told me he only made 4 models of ME II in 1/12. It was a shadow over a metre long. Kevin Desmond had 1 of those models, there is a pic of him holding it on his book about the boat. Stuart Delf of Touchwood was in the process of producing it, but last I spoke to him about it, he said it would work out too expensive to sell & had shelved it for now.

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:57 am

Thank you for the kind comment. I believe the one I made was the only working model. One of the most difficult parts was making the top look like it was canvas covered. I can understand why Stuart has not pursued it. One issue would be the running hardware. Its such a prominent part of the boat it needs to be right. The rear rudder is particularly difficult to make as a working version at scale. As there is a very limited market I think a custom set of scale hardware would be very expensive to produce. Much cheaper and more easily produced in resin for a static showcase model. Hardware aside I understand Stuarts reluctance to produce kits.

Stuart at Touchwood has stopped producing the K3 and K4 kits I think because very few were sold. Perhaps its his experience with K3 and K4 that has influenced his decision re ME11. Its about 24 years ago that I was asked by Stuart to convert one of his K4 kits into a working model, I did and an article was published in MMI about the conversion (the first one done of the K4 model). Another difficult scale model to get the performance and stability right. I also did K3 for him and then the K7. I still have the very first Touchwood K7 converted to RC, its actually my grandsons now, hes 12, however I am looking after it, although he keeps asking for it back.(there's a bit of a story about his cat and the top of a wardrobe :roll: :( !)

Rich Marsh, a friend of myself and my son, was up visiting us yesterday. He's a real model boat enthusiast in particular all things Bluebird. 10 years ago, when he about 14, Rich bought the K4 I converted and still has it.(I recently made another one for my son-exact scale hardware) He's also got an extremely fast Touchwood K7 using uptodate technology. Mike B will be happy to note that Rich has used the exact colour 'bluebird' paint for his models. We compared the colours of his models with my sons 1/6th scale K7 painted with Ford Fyord blue, most folks would not know the difference. Rich is currently building a Speedline 1/8th K7 to be fitted with a gas turbine engine. Impressive detail built into the mouldings. Yesterday I contacted Adrian at Speedline to discus my forthcoming article. He mentioned he's thinking about retiring and selling up. If he does its a big loss to the model trade.

BTW I may try to buy back ME11 I sold. (sold it, and the others, at a particularly bad time in my life) :oops:

Black Knight

Post by Black Knight » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:26 pm

I told Stuart i'd love an ME II kit, she's the best looking boat imo.
I had all 3 1/12 kits, sold K3 & K4 & had K7 built. I took it to the meeting at Coniston in iirc 2001 & Gina signed the bottom. Unfortunately had to sell it when I went through bad times. Never seen or heard anything about it since. Keep being tempted by another, & to put a detailed Orph into it, but it just takes up too much space to display safely. I've stuck to 43rd scale since, much easier to display.
1 model i'd love to see in the flesh, a 1/8 scale K6 Crusader that is cut away on 1 side. There's a couple of low res shots online. Apparently not in the UK but seriously stunning work.

Black Knight

Post by Black Knight » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:33 pm

Crusader-Sally-Joslin-2.jpg
Crusader-Sally-Joslin-1.jpg
The model Crusader I'd love to see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RichM

Post by RichM » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:26 pm

Hi all - excuse my late-ness to the party - I’m the guy Ernie mentioned who’s building the 1/8th scale turbine K7.
I’ve got Ernie’s original RC K4, an RC K3 and K7 I’ve done, both brushless.
Bill - I spoke to Ernie on Saturday, it would be great to for us to organise a rivet counting visit, it’d help me greatly with my 1/8 build.
Just on with the cockpit at the mo - has anyone got a good diagram of the layout of the bulkheads - all I have to go off is the Touchwood 1/12 cockpit which I know isn’t right...
Ta for now
Rich

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:05 am

Bill - I spoke to Ernie on Saturday, it would be great to for us to organise a rivet counting visit, it’d help me greatly with my 1/8 build.
Hi Rich, and welcome... The offer is there - put together a party and propose some dates and we'll see what can be done.
has anyone got a good diagram of the layout of the bulkheads
Are we talking about the internal bulkheads in the cockpit? If so there must be a thousand pic's in out diary. Just need a bit of digging.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

RichM

Post by RichM » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:08 pm

Great - I know there’s myself, Ernie and Ian Lazenby already - if others are interested give me a shout and we’ll come up with some dates...

Sorry, I meant the internal bulkheads - after trawling through the diary archive for the last two nights I’ve found some pics - cheers

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:24 pm

Rich. I have already started a separate thread about visiting North Shields. I included your name on the list.

RichM

Post by RichM » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:38 pm

Just seen it Ernie, many thanks