The Bloodhound SSC/Thrust/Noble Thread

rob565uk

Re: The Bloodhound SSC/Thrust/Noble Thread

Post by rob565uk » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:50 pm

They must have learned that from the BBP Workshop ;-)

When you come to a fork in the road, take it

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:54 pm

News of more landmark Bloodhound progress here ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31845234

In the Comments section beneath the item are the usual negative and poorly-thought-through remarks, but Brits with hearts don't feel this way, thank God, and the car's already becoming almost as well-known as ThrustSSC 8-)

Nigel

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:37 am

I think I'd argue that Bloodhound is far better known even than the car it is following, or the record that it holds; the PR from BSSC has been relentless, and widespread. They've talked an incredible job- I do hope they can follow it through with deeds to match!
'...no tears to cry no feelings left- this species has amused itself to death'.

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:56 am

Yes, Mike - good point. The educational aspect of the Bloodhound endeavour has projected it into places that traditionally-structured speed-record bids simply don't even scratch. In terms of scale and reach, the whole thing eclipses everything that has gone before.

A massive awareness blitz. It's a lot to live up to. Who would bet against it working, though. Not I.

They seem to have left everyone else behind now, lagging in their wake. Barring an unexpected slip I can't see any other team beating them to the record.

And if they accomplish that, I imagine that will effectively pull the ladder up.

Nigel

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:55 pm

quicksilver-wsr wrote:They seem to have left everyone else behind now, lagging in their wake. Barring an unexpected slip I can't see any other team beating them to the record.
I'd hope that Rosco might get himself into the books before BSSC really steals everyone's show- first man to an 800mph record perhaps.

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:29 pm

I don't know Rosco at all, but I have kept up with his newsletters and website updates for the past few years.

According to an update on the website quite some time ago, it was going to be necessary to sell the previous car to raise the funds needed to complete the new one. That hasn't happened, and nor did a crowdfunding plan to raise the money to build the tailfin.

My sense for some time (the past 12 months) has been that the funding isn't there to get it done. At least not currently. That's no reason to give up, of course, and Rosco is pressing on, but it seems to me that it would take a big change of fortune for him to get a record before Richard's team does. You never know how it's going to play out, though. Fortunes do change.

Nigel

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:41 pm

I too would like to see Rosco gain a record. Nobody can doubt his sheer courage, drive and tenacity. I believe he has huge popular appeal, so maybe he should make another attempt at crowdfunding?

When you come to a fork in the road, take it

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:45 pm

Meanwhile, Ye Olde Skills are going on in the name of giving BSSC a tail fin...
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:48 pm

Speaking of tailfins ...

Rob, I fully agree that Rosco deserves a shot at the record.

With the tailfin crowdfunding plan - as was - I don't know if it was actually launched but failed to raise the necessary, or whether it simply didn't happen in the first place.

It was announced, and then there was no follow-up news.

Here is a link to the web-page about selling the previous car, published almost exactly a year ago today:
http://www.aussieinvader.com/latest-new ... -museum-wa

Nigel

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:19 am

Meanwhile, Ye Olde Skills are going on in the name of giving BSSC a tail fin...
It's often said that the lathe is the 'king of tools' but I disagree. The English Wheel better deserves that title due to the black-art-witchcraft needed to get a good result from it and it's great to see it being used amongst all the cutting-edge engineering going into BSSC. Some things will never change and nor should they.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."