Nomadic, Titanic & other historic vessels

klingon

Re: SS Nomadic (& City of Adelaide)

Post by klingon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:22 pm

Theres always a **** around when you dont need one!-This individual represents a bunch of enthusiasts who have NO firm plans on what to do with the ship nevermind the neccessary funds to do it with!-The Aussies have a plan of action,the funding and more of a claim on the ship than the city which built it-if that was the case the Queen Mary and the QE2 would be tied up on the Clyde!-really think this guy is just shouting into the wind,if the Australians want her and can save her from her fate-good on them,the only solution the Holyrood Horrors could come up with was either break her up totally,or turn her upside down and make her into a "visitor centre"!-just my view right enough but think it's time to admit defeat and let things run their course without trying to put a spanner in the works. :roll:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"

Pullman99

Re: SS Nomadic (& other historic vessels)

Post by Pullman99 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:48 am

And the acquisition, jointly by The National Galleries of Scotland and The National Gallery, of The Duke of Sutherland's Titians sets it all in context - sort of. Anyway, what's another £45M these days. Very generous of The Duke to offer a discount, I thought!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17220446
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.

klingon

Post by klingon » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:52 pm

Ohh don't get me started on THAT please!-as a firm adherent of the "you cannae eat art" brigade that waste of bawbees makes me mad,for the price of two daubings from a 16th century Venetian we just lost a new hospital,or a few new schools,or a right good helpout to our beleaguered NHS-or even fund a new Water AND Landspeed record for Britain-better use of my tax quid! :twisted:

Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:17 pm

Tell you what, I'll pop out there next time it's sunny and take the photo for £2m. You won't get a better offer! :lol:

There is something very wrong with museum funding in this country when we have projects to restore "sole survivor" ships/planes/trains scrabbling about for a few thousand while £45m can be spent on a single painting...
Matt in Mid Wales

DamienB

Post by DamienB » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:52 pm

Mike Bull wrote:Even if we remember and accept that people who like machines might not like paintings, and that people who like paintings might not like machines, forty five million quid is a hell of a lot of cash for a picture! :shock: :roll:
Frankly I think it's a f***ing disgrace. What relevance to British history does this painting have? It was knocked up by an Italian for a Spanish King! Utterly ridiculous. The amount of good that 45 million could do for the countless numbers of struggling heritage projects in the UK...

Andrew453

Post by Andrew453 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:57 am

I wouldn't be able to spot the difference between a Poussin and a mucky postcard, but I did once find myself in the expensively climate controlled store at an art gallery being harangued by a type 3 museologist on the importance of the dozens of artworks that were hanging there...on Dexion racks. I thought of asking why, if the pictures were so vital to the cultural life of the nation, they were hanging on said Dexion racks where nobody but the museologists could see them. But in the end I just couldn't be bothered.
I suppose it takes all sorts, though, and if wealthy individuals or trusts want to put up a shedload of cash for this sort of thing, its their choice.

Terminator

Post by Terminator » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:41 pm

Our think our Roberto has been holding out on us lads! He sure kept that deal quiet and being of titled gentry too :D
45 Millions for a painting!
Novie
I've Gone
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"

Terminator

Post by Terminator » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:04 am

Whoops ! Must have miss read that one Oh well we all can't be perfect :shock:
Novie
I've Gone
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"

klingon

Post by klingon » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:09 pm

Yeah-one wrote "lying in the arms of Mary"-and the other one's a flying boat! :lol:

thunderer

Post by thunderer » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:57 pm

Don't get me started on paintings / art..

I have a hard enough time justifying the £2000 a time, to purchase and restore a 40 year old Raleigh Chopper kids bike that BITD was dumped on the floor like it didn't matter.

£45m for a piece of "art" that has little to no significance to British culture is a little OTT!
Just cos my username is Thunderer, doesn't necessarily mean I SHOUT !!
"A vehicle is designed to be used, restored or otherwise" A personal response on the question "you have just restored it, why use it?"