Nomadic, Titanic & other historic vessels

lsrdatabase

Re: Nomadic, Titanic & other historic vessels

Post by lsrdatabase » Sat May 19, 2012 2:48 pm

SS United States and SS America.jpg
Troop Ship during WW II.jpg
USS West Point 1945.jpg
SS Australis.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen » Sat May 19, 2012 2:50 pm

I'm not sure exactly which page this will take you to as the site doesn't seem terribly well constructed, although there are some interesting bits tucked away behind various tabs.

Fred, if you're feeling particularly nostalgic and easily upset, I wouldn't recommend opening the "Australis Today" tab!

http://www.ss-australis.com/enter.htm
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...

lsrdatabase

Post by lsrdatabase » Sat May 19, 2012 2:52 pm

SS Italis.jpg
SS American Star.jpg
SS American Star wreck.jpg
SS American Star wreck - 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DamienB

Post by DamienB » Sat May 19, 2012 4:55 pm

Dangermouse wrote:I cannot believe that anyone calling themselves a "Director of Conservation" would authorise something so daft.
It's mind boggling isn't it. If they have so much money to spare...

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sat May 19, 2012 7:29 pm

Now d'you see why I used to rant on about museologists? The Hapless Lottery Failure was infested with them too. At one point they wanted to fit K7 with a Perspex nose and another time they proposed a fibreglass shell to float her in so the actual hull never got wet. Even they didn't suggest we float her on a million tons of snot.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Stuart Baker

Post by Stuart Baker » Sat May 19, 2012 10:49 pm

I'm sure this is just a simple misreading of Edward Lear's Owl and the Pussy Cat - it was the boat that was supposed to be pea green.

Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse » Sun May 20, 2012 12:53 am

I haven't been in to see SS GB for years now - I think they'd just finished the replica engines last time I went. I visit Bristol pretty often as I like wandering around the old docks with a camera in hand, but the entry prices were a bit eyewatering last time I looked (I doubt there's much more to see than last time!)

The SS America wreck is well-known in shipping circles, I don't think there's much (if anything?) still above water. If the sea were a bit less violent she'd probably make a decent dive site.

As for museologists, those at the NRM particularly annoy me. By most accounts they could have built a replica A3 for the same money that they've pushed into the Flying Scotsman rebuild, or even better given it a rest and overhauled the re-streamlined Duchess of Hamilton instead. Luckily there seems to be slightly more sense with their diesel and electric fleet now, with locos being loaned to groups who'll get them running. The surviving prototype HST power car should be back in action before too long (and thoroughly baffling non-enthusiast visitors to whatever preserved railway it ends up running on!) :lol:
Matt in Mid Wales

Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen » Mon May 21, 2012 1:01 am

Mike Bull wrote:
Dangermouse wrote:They're basically exposing part of the hull (which is by all accounts very fragile in places) to an mildly acidic substance for no reason whatsoever.
Ridiculous as the idea is, the jelly at least won't be touching the actual ship- there's a big seal around the hull, as seen here in a pic of mine from a few years back-
P8221014.JPG
Rain comes down and splashes go up but the seal doesn't.

Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen » Mon May 21, 2012 3:30 pm

Mike Bull wrote:Jelly doesn't splash, it wobbles! :D
"It must be jelly, coz jam don't wobble like that" :lol:

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Mon May 21, 2012 6:50 pm

Considering all the crazy rules for disposing of this and that - how d'you get rid of 50,000 litres of unwanted green gunk? I bet it attracted every fruit fly and wasp for a hundred miles around too...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler