Nomadic, Titanic & other historic vessels

Stuart Baker

Re: Nomadic, Titanic & other historic vessels

Post by Stuart Baker » Mon May 21, 2012 7:51 pm

Renegadenemo wrote:Considering all the crazy rules for disposing of this and that - how d'you get rid of 50,000 litres of unwanted green gunk? I bet it attracted every fruit fly and wasp for a hundred miles around too...
Call it Olympic slime and put it on eBay? :mrgreen:

Probably the wrong place for me to rant about it but I don't understand how LOCOG thought it would be ok to sell torches for half what they cost and allow people to sell them on for phenomenal sums and pocket the difference. I know the first seller is giving the money to a charity, but we, the tax paying British public, own those torches. Rant over.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Mon May 21, 2012 9:04 pm

Probably the wrong place for me to rant about it but I don't understand how LOCOG thought it would be ok to sell torches for half what they cost and allow people to sell them on for phenomenal sums and pocket the difference.
I'd say the answer is straightforward enough. Bean-counting, procedure-ridden bureaucrats won't have seen that one coming...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse » Mon May 21, 2012 9:31 pm

Renegadenemo wrote:Considering all the crazy rules for disposing of this and that - how d'you get rid of 50,000 litres of unwanted green gunk? I bet it attracted every fruit fly and wasp for a hundred miles around too...
Given this is Bristol harbour I'd suggest dumping it in the vicinity of the Underfall sluices (one of I.K. Brunel's lesser-known bits of engineering) and letting the famous tidal range of the Avon gorge deal with it! :lol:
Matt in Mid Wales

DamienB

Post by DamienB » Tue May 22, 2012 9:40 am

Depreciation innit. Losing half their value instantly? Must be made by Alfa Romeo.

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk » Tue May 22, 2012 10:25 am

Renegadenemo wrote:
Probably the wrong place for me to rant about it but I don't understand how LOCOG thought it would be ok to sell torches for half what they cost and allow people to sell them on for phenomenal sums and pocket the difference.
I'd say the answer is straightforward enough. Bean-counting, procedure-ridden bureaucrats won't have seen that one coming...
As part of my work, I have regular contact with LOCOG and suffice to say the situation above is far from unusual. At the end of the day (Games?), LOCOG is just another QUANGO, busy using up a huge budget within defined timescales. Value for money doesn't seem to come into it ........

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't

klingon

Post by klingon » Mon May 28, 2012 1:51 am

Just back from a day out down in Irvine-City of Adelaide is beginning to resemble a trussed turkey in readiness for her last great voyage home to Oz-wunner when they'll start moving her? :)
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"

Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse » Tue May 29, 2012 10:27 pm

Mike Bull wrote:Footage released of dives made to HMS Coventry following her sinking-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18200995
I've always thought diving a wreck soon after the sinking must be a very disturbing experience, especially so if you know that not everyone got out before it sank. I watched a couple of things about the Estonia a while ago, I really couldn't handle what those divers had to cope with.
Matt in Mid Wales

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed May 30, 2012 9:38 am

I dived a trawler once where a bloke was trapped and drowned but the wheelhouse had been swept away by another trawler by the time we got there and the body turned up in a net months later. It was still spooky on the down-line, though, wondering if his bloated face and dead eyes would be staring out of the window when we shone a torch through it.

Here's a book well worth reading...

http://www.amazon.com/Descent-Darkness- ... 0891417451

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

DamienB

Post by DamienB » Wed May 30, 2012 7:51 pm

Having spent this weekend gone with survivors of the Coventry (my dad among them) at their 30th anniversary reunion it was a bit of a shock to see the underwater footage. I knew it existed, but hadn't expected the MoD to ever release any of it. Spooky to see the Sea Dart still on the launcher - as the ship rolled over that missile punctured my dad's liferaft, sinking him for the second time that day.

As well as recovering classified material and certain other tasks, the divers recovered the Cross of Nails (made up of nails from the roof of Coventry Cathedral, destroyed in the WWII blitz). The Cross went on to be held by HMS Coventry F98 and on that ship's decommissioning went back to Coventry Cathedral. With the launch of HMS Diamond and the ship's adoption by the City of Coventry, the Cross is now back onboard a Royal Navy warship and Diamond's CO kindly allowed the HMS Coventry Association to borrow the Cross for Friday's memorial service.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:40 pm

I once dived a wreck that we'd only ever seen in really poor visibility due to its proximity to the mouth of the Tyne only to find the water crystal clear and the whole ship visible from one end to the other. There in the stern deck was a perfectly circular hole about ten feet across and in the bottom was a 20mm, Oerlikon AA cannon sat bolt upright. Its circular mounting plate and the heavy gun had literally dropped through the rust-thinned deck.
Two minutes later I was stood, finger on the trigger, blazing away at imaginary, HE111s through the hole above - you can blame the old nitrogen narcosis for that.
I always wonder whether these ships sank on a calm, moonlit night, in bright sunshine or in the middle of a storm. I wonder who was lost and who got off and what it must have been like as the ship was rent by a torpedo or mine explosion and what the scene on board must have been like as she settled and sank.