Nomadic, Titanic & other historic vessels

Renegadenemo

Re: SS Nomadic

Post by Renegadenemo »

I knew where the missing piece was two days ago but it didn't make the workshop any tidier! Have I been that much of a pain in the arse lately? This is a stressful job, you know, but if I have then heartfelt apologies to my fellow teammates and tin-bashers. Will try harder...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

Sorry Bill I did not intend to infer that you had been a pain in the arse lately, thats not the case at all. You have been a pain in the arse for years. Only kidding. As anyone who has ever been to our workshop will know its a very happy place to be and that is due to the fact that Bill has built up a team of blokes who not only have a grasp of what is going on build wise, but also get on very well as a team. If you dont fit in your out, But it is always a team decision and not down to Bill, who made this rule in the first place. We all have a say in what happens. I for one could not wish for a better leader of this amazing project. No need to try harder mate cos on the very rare occasions you have been a little grumpy we ignore you anyway knowing it wont be 5 minutes before you are back to your cheery self.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Rob, you're too kind. We do have an amazing team but the team chooses and manages itself these days so it's a self-sustaining reaction where all I can find to do is weld things occasionally then hover over everyone's shoulder the rest of the time picking up on the smallest quality issues.

How they put up with me I still don't know...

dscottbeddard

Post by dscottbeddard »

Hi everyone,

this is my 1st post on your forum, but I'm sure will not be the last!

My name is David Scott-Beddard and I am chairman of the Nomadic Preservation Society; not to be confused with the Nomadic Charitable Trust, set up by the Dept for Social Development (NI) who own SS Nomadic, to oversee the restoration of this wonderful vessel. For those of you interested in steam, historic ship restoration and anything remotely related to SS Nomadic, I am happy to answer ALL of your questions.

I have not chosen this forum purely to promote Nomadic (but I'm hopeful you'll all forgive me for being a little biased!) as I have a genuine interest in 'Bluebird' and can remember that fateful January day 43 years ago, when I was the tender age of 12...... I even held my 'Stag Weekend' on the lakeside in 1993 and am still recovering!

The work you are doing is truly remarkable and I look forward to seeing K7 back on the water next year.

Regards, DSB...
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hi David,
Welcome - good to have you aboard. I'm sure our lot will pepper you with questions. In fact you can have our favourite... when will your boat be finished?

klingon

Post by klingon »

YES BILL!-we're not alone now!-now those poor Irishmen can hear "that bloody phrase" in their sleep!-although God help em they've got a longer road to travel with Nomadic than K7 has now-the last engine available to them was somewhere in darkest Africa!-and thanks to beaurocratic kerfuffling about they lost that.Sound familiar? :roll:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

the last engine available to them was somewhere in darkest Africa!-and thanks to beaurocratic kerfuffling about they lost that.Sound familiar?
Oh yes... Sounds all too familliar to me. What sort of engine are we looking for then?

bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

You have not been following the plot have you Bill? They are looking for a steam engine.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

You have not been following the plot have you Bill? They are looking for a steam engine.
I know this... and how many marine steam engines do I know about?
OK - so they're all on the bottom of the sea and a little worse for wear but they're good for spares. What do we need here? Single, double, triple or quadruple-expansion? Big, small?
Being serious for a moment, we scrapped a few marine engines with explosives to pay for our diving back in the day and there's a lot of phosphor bronze and brass in them, especially the early examples. You could easily salvage a full set of pistons, piston rods, cylinder liners, valve gear, bearings, gauges, steam pipes... the list goes on and it's all lying on the seabed. You'd need to reconstruct the bedplates, crankshaft and the engine frame but by buying a wreck and having a dive club strip it for you you could acquire the best part of a genuine ship's steam engine very easily and cheaply and there are literally hundreds of them lying about the place. Recovering a genuine ships engine would also count as some sort of museological conservation too so the musos and bureaucrats could be sweetened.

dscottbeddard

Post by dscottbeddard »

Hi Klingon,

all is NOT lost and the engines in Kenya are still available. SS Nyanza is a 1908 British-built steamer with a propulsion system about the same size/power as that originally fitted to Nomadic. All the NPS needs is £250,000 to get the complete system dismantled, crated and transported to Mombasa, ready for shipping back to the UK. We've even approached the Navy to see if they'll sponsor the project by picking up the crates and shipping them back home...

Convincing the "powers to be" in Belfast is the stumbling block. Currently, there is tons of concrete ballast sitting on the old engine bed plates and this MUST be removed to check the integrity of the hull, as we know there is crevice corrosion taking place. After that's been done, what would you recommend... replacing the concrete with engines.................. or new concrete? Hell, that's a tough one!

Thanks for the welcome everyone and I'm all revved up for the influx of questions.

DSB.........