Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Stuart Baker

Re: Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Post by Stuart Baker »

At least when Dave LeGrys took the bicycle speed record in 1986 he had the decency to use his own power to get to 110mph - albeit very close behind a pace car...

Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

I stumbled across this whilst looking at the National Maritime Museum Cornwall's website.
Does anyone know anything more about it?

http://www.nmmc.co.uk/images/sized/imag ... -0x350.jpg

The early 20th century was a time when the need for speed was constantly being challenged, whether on land, in the air or on water. Motorboats were getting faster, and sedate chugging about on the water was becoming boring. Hulls became narrower to minimise drag, then came a new type of craft.

This type of boat was known as a ‘Three Pointer’, a design that was developed by the Ventnor Boat Works, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA. In the 1930s the company’s designer, Adolf E Apel, was asked to design a suicide boat for the Chinese Government with the design brief of being able to reach speeds of 50-60 mph carrying a 500lb bomb. In the initial stages of design there was a problem with stability so a pair of Ventnor water skis were added either side of the hull proving a great success. These were permanently built into the hull as more recognisable sponsons. The hull had a v-shaped sponson on either side designed to lift the hull out of the water as well as to provide stability; hence the name ‘Three Pointers’ which derives from the points of contact with the water, i.e. two sponsons and the propeller.

Built from spruce covered plywood, Blue Ace was powered by a 4 litre 175hp Lycoming Ventnor engine and, unofficially, reached speeds of over 100 mph. It was in this boat that Harold C Notley established several world water speed and endurance records during 1937-8 on the measured mile course at Poole. The two records were 1 mile at a speed of 67.3 mph and 24 miles at a speed of 54.75 mph.

After the Second World War the whereabouts of Blue Ace were not known, however subsequently she was discovered by Sir Donald Campbell in the Lake District and used by him as a fast tender for his Bluebird record attempts. She was largely rebuilt by Campbell and his mechanics, but the original engine is still fitted and on show thanks to the cover being removed for display.

In the 1970s Blue Ace was bequeathed to the National Maritime Museum, London and subsequently she found her way to us where she can be viewed ‘in the air’ as part of our flotilla display in the main hall.

Name: Blue Ace
Date: c.1937
Type: 3 point Hydroplane

Dimensions (overall)
Length: 24 ft
Beam: 1.52 m
Depth: 2.66 m
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!

Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

I think that's come up before in relation to DMC's ownership but I can't remember the conclusion.
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...

Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Hi Jordan
I recognize the Ventnor boat and D.C and the lads did restore it. I have an article on it somewhere in the collection but alas that part is still in the loft I'm afraid. I seem to recall the boat may have been at the old Pitsea Motor Boat Museum formerly run by (before she got hitched) Miss Julie Canavan the curator there a lovely lady. The Museum had a fantastic collection but it has since closed its doors and this could be why the boat has been taken on by another Museum. I've seen it somewhere in the past and pretty sure it was a Pitsea but could be mistaken? I will have to dig deep inside the old memory banks when I have a spare minute!
May take a while then :lol:
Novie
"I've Gone"
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"

Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

Cheers Novie I thought you would be the man who would know. :-)
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!

Pegasus

Post by Pegasus »

Another British project that's coming together very nicely is Richard Brown's Jet Reaction, a two wheeled thrust powered streamliner with a 400+ target. Richard came very close to the motorcycle record back in 1999 at Bonneville with the rocket powered Gillette Mach 3 Challenger which ran the fastest ever official one way speed at that time of 332.887mph peaking at 365mph but was unable to make a return run. The latest bike will be seen in it's new colours for the first time this weekend at the Newark Showground, website is here - http://www.jetreaction.net/, Facebook page here - https://www.facebook.com/JetReaction.

Phil

ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

I was suprised to hear that the previous record had stood for about 40 years! Where does this record stand in relation to the electric records set previously by Donald Wales?

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

Mike B look away now ............................ here are the details asked for on the Electric Record scene.

Don Wales set National records with Bluebird Electric cars in the UK classes 2 and 3 (501 to 1000kg and over 1000kg). The National class 1 record was set by the Volta Team from Bexhill whose under 500kg car was driven by Rudi Thomann to 106.77 mph. This is the World Record for that weight class from 1993.

Don's fastest speed of 137.15 mph from August 2000 was broken by Nick Ponting last year in the Ecotricity 'Nemesis' which raised the UK best for electric to just above 150 mph. Neither driver attempted International/World records.

The fastest electric record under FIA rules is the Venturi Buckeye Bullet at 307.66 mph driven by Roger Schroer in 2010 in the over 1000kg class. This team used the Bonneville salt flats.

The Drayson Team saw an 'opening' to attempt a World Record, because the Roger Hedlund 'Battery Box' FIA records for 501 kg to 1000 kg were set in 1974 at 174.981 (mile) and 175.081 (kilo).

In the intervening years ('74 to '13) heavier cars were being constructed to attempt the fastest speeds, so there was no challenge internationally in the middle weight class.

If you are still with us Mike :lol: the speed set under the SCTA/BNI rules for 501 to 1000kg electric vehicles is a 213.084 'World' record by Randi Rannberg achieved in 1997 on the salt flats.

A speed of 204.185 mph (which people are saying is the mile average of two runs) by any wheel driven vehicle on just 1.9 miles of total length runway is to be admired regardless of the method of powering the wheels.

However when it comes to street races with electric single seaters of one or two makes then I too will turn off. Much like the city cycling it only looks dramatic when a rider hitting the fencing brings down much of the peleton riders.
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

Officials have confirmed that Tuesday runs for Drayson were over the mile timed trap. On Wednesday more speed records set on the kilo and for a standing start 1/4 mile, but no information yet on the speeds which will go forward for ratification.

Mike - you are probably glad to be rebuilding a record breaker and not having to worry about record speeds :geek:
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

I just want to go for the jet-powered forklift record :-)

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't