Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Renegadenemo

Re: Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Post by Renegadenemo »

Although Craig Arfons spoke of adding an afterburner to his J85 powered jet hydroplane, this form of power enhancement has not been used on water, I have heard comments that the sudden application of power could destabilise a craft.
I've heard this many times too and having felt the reheat explode in my face and thump my chest as the car launched I can only imagine the havoc it might cause a boat accelerating and trying to maintain equilibrium at the interface between two fluids. Then I think, so where is everyone's imagination? Unless my thinking is fatally flawed (and it wouldn't be the first time by any stretch) surely it's possible to light the reheat softly and throttle it up?
Just because there's no application for a soft-starting, throttleable reheat doesn't mean it's a big deal to engineer one. Stick a throttle valve in the line, crack it to idle - wherever you want that to be - and let the afterburner light then open the valve progressively.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
ted.walsh

Post by ted.walsh »

umm,
i think you would want to use reheat early on in the measured cycle to try and shorten the run up. you would be on the heat immediately the boat had started to plane out at quite a low speed then probably out of it through the kilo as you would be looking for stability by then and should already be at the VMax you are looking for... :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I would think the reheat could be persuaded to throttle up progressively with the engine rather than coming in with a big horrible thud.

pmw1985

Post by pmw1985 »

Apart from Beaulieu, Lakeland, Rushkin and Coventry motor museum, is there any other Museums in the UK that house Land or Water speed records cars?

Thanks in advance
Perran
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

London science museum houses one of the Miss Englands
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

What was the 'Think Tank' in Birmingham has the Cobb driven Railton, which of course was the first 400mph timed vehicle. With the closure of the Motor Boat museum at Pitsea the only other water record craft may appear in the Windermere Steam Boat museum when it re-opens. Whilst only available for private visits Filching Manor has the 'real' K3 boat. Bexhill on Sea houses the Volta electric car and the replica Serpollet steam car.

Do not forget the bikes in the National Motorcycle Museum, located on the edge of Birmingham.

Brooklands collection has a fast car or two as well! Do not forget the Museum of Speed Pendine, although that may be in the process of refurbishment and enlargement. The Gaydon collection has the MGs and at one time the Dieselmax.

If you go to the Isle of Man a few record vehicles bikes and three wheelers are on show there.

(Just popping out to get my anorak …….)
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Ste

Post by Ste »

conistoncollie

Post by conistoncollie »

Turbinia
Newcastle upon Tyne
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Only the machinery space and a chunk of the bow is original on Turbinia. The entire mid section is new and when they made the new bit they welded it so as you walk along it it goes riveted, welded then back to rivets. Most of the brass is new too as it was extensively looted. Poor old thing.

Fulcrum29

Post by Fulcrum29 »

Well, I thought I was a record vehicle enthusiast and that I knew quite a bit about the topic, but... It looks like I'm wrong :mrgreen: I don't know the majority of the names mentioned in that topic!
I'll make sure to read about every single one of them since it's a fascinating subject, but it's going to take one hell of a long time...