Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

captain sparkle

Re: Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Post by captain sparkle »

Looking like there will be no Records Week this year -
TED WALSH AT SPEED ON CONISTON

Now over 3.1 Million hits on Youtube, subscribers needed! permanent positions available, please apply now!
JfromJAGs

Post by JfromJAGs »

Seams like the whole UK gets rid of itself.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Now we all know a nice, speedboat-friendly island in Scotland. Don't laugh, have a think about it, why not relocate Records Week to the Kyles of Bute?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kyles ... xCg69uIDEM:
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
midlife

Post by midlife »

Excellent idea Bill, imagine the extra revenue that would bring to the island so late in the season...
Cheers
Wayne
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

It's a long, straight and usually flat stretch of water. saltwater,admittedly, but so what? The boats will float better in denser water and they will shower off once back ashore then it's beers in the back room of the Bull or over to the Golfer's or wherever else.

captain sparkle

Post by captain sparkle »

All is not yet lost, for the speed boat speedsters, apparently -
https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/17570302 ... this-year/
TED WALSH AT SPEED ON CONISTON

Now over 3.1 Million hits on Youtube, subscribers needed! permanent positions available, please apply now!
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

I have just completed one of the profiles for the Speed Record Club - Worldwide Speed Hall of Fame. This was of John Godfrey Parry Thomas, three time outright World Land Speed Record holder, sadly killed on Pendine Sands in 1927.

The car he was driving was called 'BABS' and after the inquest into the accident the team buried it in the dunes beside the famous sands. In 1969 the car was 'resurrected' and after a fifteen year rebuild, by Owen Wyn-Owen, the operating car has been driven on the sands and can now be seen under power at major motor sporting events in the UK, such as the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

The car also has two 'spiritual homes', having been speed raced on Pendine Sands, but it was prepared at a garage on the Brooklands race circuit. There is a museum at Brooklands and (although currently being rebuilt and enlarged) there is another,the Museum of Speed, at Pendine which share the display of this car.

I hope that those who study the subject of speed history learn from this story and we will see it applied to a subject close to enthusiasts hearts.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Well said Sir Malcolm! And a similar situation with Bluebird K3 I guess too
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I hope that those who study the subject of speed history learn from this story and we will see it applied to a subject close to enthusiasts hearts.
Have no fear, Malcolm. Worst case this year is we run a few fundraisers so people can come see all our hard work, enjoy a BBQ and a presentation then we can all retire to the pub to swap the stories that we could never post on here - all proceeds to charity, of course. After that we'll not make this year's mistake of asking nicely and just invoke a clause in our contract that allows us to run the boat so long as we give notice.
12 months notice ought to be enough so we'll do that for 2020 while lighting the BBQ and get her wet next year instead - prepping her will give us a nice winter project.
In the meantime she can stay warm and dry under her cover in her other spiritual home because Rich is dragging me back into the sea on Sat.

'Diver Bill Smith' is about to return - gulp! :lol:

midlife

Post by midlife »

Should we warn anyone Bill, Greenpeace, coast guard etc?
If you want to generate some funds I’m sure there will be tons of expensive metal in the canal near our factory lol
Put me down for a ticket to the barbecue please[.]
Cheers
Wayne