Pilot for Bluebird

malcolm uk

Re: Pilot for Bluebird

Post by malcolm uk »

Ken,

I cannot recall ever using the term "pensioner" for you on another chat site - I did not know if you were or not. (I am already drawing a pension so perhaps it was referring to my self and placing myself on the shore?)

Re-reading my post to this forum - which has your name in the first paragraph and then 'old man (or woman)' in the second, I can see how I have caused offence. As we have never met I am sorry for that. :oops:

As you have described your current boating activity then you are right that 'old man' does not refer to K Warby esq., therefore my description of the boats future pilot did not exclude you.

In view of the public nature of this forum Ken, could you send me a private e mail to expand on the emphatic statement made that amounts to no one should pilot K7, I just need to understand the background to this viewpoint.

Malcolm
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Hi Ken glad to see you are board the Forum and still Behind the Project old friend :) Don't you worry about our Sir Malcolm he's an ok guy really,he was probably referring to that mountain range behind the Black Bull in Coniston :) He just comes across all aloof sometimes :lol:

A pensioner in deed! I doubt it a Pioneer would be more like it pushing a boat at over 300 M.P.H and some say 402 one way ;) we just call him"The Man " 8-)

When you coming over to old Blighty again anyway Ken we ain't seen you in a while?

Regards
Novie
In Sunny Coniston
"I'll Be Back"
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Blowtorch

Post by Blowtorch »

Malcolm,
Below are the words that got my attention on the SRG board and they appeared just a few weeks after Torver.
10378 Running K7
... not try to get it changed. If the Bluebird Project / Ruskin Museum wants to run the boat on Coniston Water in, say, 2009 with a pensioner piloting it at thirt or fourty or one hundred or more miles per hour ............ then what is being done now to make that a possibility ... MPittwood@...
speed200me
Nov 2, 2007
5:25 pm

My thoughts about a backside other than Donalds in the cockpit are personal ones and not meant to change anyones plans for Bluebirds return to Coniston.
From the time I saw a drawing in a magazine of what his boat was going to be and made a balsa model,fitted a Jetex 50 rocket engine,ran it across a pond then went home and told my mum that one day I would do it for real.......I was hooked.
Donald Campbell became my hero then and still is.
So you see,to me, that cockpit is hallowed ground.
That being said,I know the "Bird" will fly again and it will have my thoughts and prayers with it.
I also know that the team will find a suitable driver that will give Donald's office the respect it truelly deserves.
It also pisses me off to see someone useing the Campbell name on a WWSR project that has no real connection with it.
To Bill and all his dedicated project team mates,you have my utmost respect for the care and patience you give to make Bluebird whole again.
I can't make the trip over the pond this year but I shall remedy that in the future.
Novie,did you know that both Donald and I,suffered from rhuematic fever at a young age????
The above may be the rantings of an "old man" .....but ,you see, I do care about my hero.
Cheers,
Ken
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hey Ken, I'm hoping we're going to be squeezing you through that cockpit opening at some stage - that was the deal. Unless, of course, you opt not to for your own reasons and we'll respect that but that drive still has your name on it.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

Seems that a lot of people have different views on this subject. The fact is that Bluebird is going to run again which means someones arse being on that seat. That arse will have to belong to someone who knows what they are doing. I for one and i think the rest of the team would agree we dont want to see our boat after all of our hard work flying into Pier cottage or the Bluebird cafe. So the eventual pilots age is not in question here. We need someone who knows the ropes and who better than Ken Warby? He still takes boats to beyond any speed we need for our trials and would treat Bluebird with the upmost respect. So to echo Bills sentiments you have my vote Ken, you old bugger.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong