What have forum members been up to?

kneeslider

Re: What have forum members been up to?

Post by kneeslider » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:06 pm

Nice one Bill, good to see you enjoyed your day out at Sywell!

I've been flying too today. I decided that its high time I got myself a tailwheel rating, so I have been circuit bashing at Wellesbourne, in a PA18 Super Cub with a 150 hp donkey up the front.

Its been great getting used to the vices and virtues of a 'proper' aircraft, with a narrow track undercarriage, and enough power to get you into bother if you do it wrong.

I'm going to need a little more time to get it sorted completely, and I need to renew my SEP rating too, before I'm current again.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:50 am

One of the competitions - as you do on such outings - was to see who was best at hovering a R22, at which I was busted and rightly disqualified... but it got the old juices flowing again.
Then we went diving on Sunday. I think I'm getting younger at last.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Richie

Post by Richie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:20 am

They call this the mid life crisis matey :-)
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:31 am

They call this the mid life crisis matey
I did that years ago - this is more of an encore.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:44 pm

I think I am on my third - sorry, getting confused with Wives (or is there a connection ....) :-)

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't

Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:04 pm

rob565uk wrote:I think I am on my third - sorry, getting confused with Wives (or is there a connection ....) :-)
Mid Wife Crisis? :lol:
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...

bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:43 pm

Rob i am also on my third wife and i think the connection is if we hadnt of took that third plunge, third life crisis would be a lot more fun. "Sigh" the power of foresight would be a wonderful thing. Writing this while my wife is in bed so not to get in trouble by the way so we,ll keep it to ourselves if thats ok.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong

thunderer

Post by thunderer » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:17 am

Renegadenemo wrote:Had a great trip out - I was invited on a corporate day to fly with The Blades aerobatic display team.

http://www.theblades.com/

Basically, they're a CAA accredited airline, licensed to carry passengers, who fly those crazy little planes you see in the Red Bull air races! Oh, and they're all ex-Red Arrows pilots.
You get to wear a real parachute...
Parachute.jpg
And have a pre-flight safety briefing that includes how to leap from a crippled plane, deploy your 'chute and land without breaking any bones - cool.
Then you get strapped into one of these things by a pretty girl.
Blades.jpg
Then they take to the skies and try to centrifuge your liver though your ears - it's awesome to say the least!
Closeup.jpg
The most professionally run and exciting corporate day I've ever had the pleasure of attending (and I've done more than a few) and a fabulous team of people. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

My mum regularly see the Blades fly over her place, I was there once when they were performing aerobatics too, quite a display!!

BTW, what do you think to my home shire? bit too many fields for my taste, but very quiet if you know where to go...... did you happen to go over to the 8th USAF memorial over in Grafton Underwood?
Just cos my username is Thunderer, doesn't necessarily mean I SHOUT !!
"A vehicle is designed to be used, restored or otherwise" A personal response on the question "you have just restored it, why use it?"

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:46 am

Nice place - I like quaint villages where it's apparent that no one steals anything and the cottage roofs are made of twigs but unfortunately mine was a fleeting visit so I didn't see much beyond the airfield. I hope I get invited back on that day out though, so maybe next time...

captain sparkle

Post by captain sparkle » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:26 pm

Just been watching this 5 min video, Stan Dibben, P.A. to Andrew Mustard in Australia, 1964.
Stan was quite the man!
http://vimeo.com/66227880