What have forum members been up to?

Renegadenemo

Re: What have forum members been up to?

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:06 pm

You'll have to dive for clabbies, they're to be found in multitudes in a few metres of water. Lots of squat lobsters in the Clyde too - they live in little burrows and can be pulled out by the claws. Excellent eating. But the scallops are the best, you can snorkel for those on the west side of Bute and either eat them live or boil them in seawater in their own shells. Mmmmmm
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:30 pm

My much needed (and rare) treat of 3 days off on a bank holiday began promisingly enough, with a couple of pints with the lads and a curry with the missus on Friday night. Went to bed at about 11pm, feeling fine.

Six hours later I was in an ambulance being whisked off to hospital, where an IV line was inseted into my arm and a lot of tutting and scratching of heads took place over the matter of why my temperature was through the roof and my right leg was twice the size of my left and the colour of a boiled crayfish.
Cellulitis, apparently; it can come on suddenly as a result of tiny scratch or insect bite and can develop into septicaemia if not treated promptly and appropriately (It was: all credit to Airedale NHS Trust, who are marvellous). Touch and go as to whether they were going to keep me in but they eventually decided to let me go home, albeit with the proviso that the District Nurse Team come round every day and shoot another half pint of antibiotics into this cannula thingy which they left in my arm.

My plans to do the course to upgrade to PADI Open Water Diver in Kefalonia next week hang by a thread :cry:
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:32 am

Renegadenemo wrote: ......Jules Verne got right the next time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzFLvR4TaOI
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

Richie

Post by Richie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:33 pm

You should sack off the PADI system and go with the BSSD System, it's a much simpler syllabus and no silliness that you get with PADI, no petty courses for stupid things like how to use your SMB, or your not allowed to wear a drysuit until you have had the drysuit course course, or how to dive off a boat...or....

With the BSSD system, it's one course and you can take as much or as little as you want from it. No over crowded pool sessions with someone fumbling with dive instructor slates, who has had about a hand full of hours bottom time, people standing on you, instructors trying to be clever dicks swimming under you as you try and tread water for ten mins except they don't swim under you, they clatter your legs with their regs.................... Sorry I digressed. The only stipulation for the BSSD System is you have to carry a good size goody bag.
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:55 pm

Richie wrote:You should sack off the PADI system and go with the BSSD System, it's a much simpler syllabus and no silliness that you get with PADI, no petty courses for stupid things like how to use your SMB, or your not allowed to wear a drysuit until you have had the drysuit course course, or how to dive off a boat...or....

With the BSSD system, it's one course and you can take as much or as little as you want from it. No over crowded pool sessions with someone fumbling with dive instructor slates, who has had about a hand full of hours bottom time, people standing on you, instructors trying to be clever dicks swimming under you as you try and tread water for ten mins except they don't swim under you, they clatter your legs with their regs.................... Sorry I digressed. The only stipulation for the BSSD System is you have to carry a good size goody bag.
I can only speak as I find and maybe others have had bad experiences on PADI courses, but none of the above happened to me when I did my Scuba Diver course in June. Furthermore, the cost of the course was little more than what it would have cost a qualified diver just to hire the gear and the boat for the equivalent amount of diving. I can thoroughly recommend www.fiskardo-divers.com

I don't know whether there is a "petty" PADI rule against diving with cellulitis, but if there is then it is superfluous, as there is no immediate prospect of me getting my leg into a wetsuit or my foot in a fin, besides which the medics aren't going to let me fly out there anyway. Yep, I am one profoundly pissed-off person right now :x

Richie

Post by Richie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:20 pm

Once you go down the BSSD system there is no going back, for once you start on the dark path there is no return hehehehe he.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:25 pm

I don't know whether there is a "petty" PADI rule against diving with cellulitis,
They'll have a course for that, only an extra £200 and you'll get your PADI cellulitis-leg diving ticket, recognised and accepted around the world.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Richie

Post by Richie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:34 pm

See nothing of that nature on the BSSD system

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:42 pm

And the BSSD system is what, exactly?

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Renegadenemo wrote:And the BSSD system is what, exactly?
I too am puzzled. Google "BSSD" and all you get is links to the Bangalore School of Stage & Drama and Baltimore School System District. Google "BSSD diving" and you get a link to a Faceb*ll*cks page that you need to subscribe to in order to view and a load of stuff written in Chinese (I think). Pray enlighten us...