Across The Lake

Terminator

Re: Across The Lake

Post by Terminator »

Hi Steve
Just for clarification hear. Did you mean you located the Original car that D.C owned in 1966/67 for the Documentary "Days That Shook The World"? Or did you mean you located and Original E Type from that period for Tiger Aspects? As for that original piece of fabric at Filching personally It should be reunited with K7 and to keep hold of it is done so out of pure spite!! :evil:

I'll Be Back
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Yep, the car in Days That Shook The World IS DC's car, and I believe it was the first time it had been back to the Lakes since 1967. It's a few years ago now, and I've slept since then! but I recall that it retains the original reg, and has never been resprayed or retrimmed, it IS DC's car. The last car I saw DC7 on was his Aston. I might go off to the DVLA web site and see where DC7 is now, you can bet a large sum of money it's on a green car!!!
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
polo

Post by polo »

Bit of a enigma this one, Donald use to pin the plate DC7 to his jag whilst driving around Coniston at record breaking times. I have seen pictures of it but don't have one myself.
There was a lot of discussion within the SRC re this and the final photo showed the correct reg number. As a consequence and being a PNC liaison officer for the boys in blue I used a contact to 'search' for me, that person told me that there is no record of any car registered to DC or DMC with that plate, but that did not mean that Donald did not own the plate, he may just not have registered it. He may have registered it under a company name or even in someone else's name.
It may also be that my contact didn't do a search and fobbed me off with that.
It all adds to the legend anyway.
Mentallica

Post by Mentallica »

Thanks folks.

Quite a complex charactor then is Donald

Amazing that you can interigate various sources to get random (sometimes useles!) info

Cheers
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The bloke who now owns that car got in touch a while back to ask if we needed it for anything. He sent me some pics and it doesn't have that plate on it now. I know where GC 7 is...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

It has been previously posted on this thread that the ATL replica BB was not full size. I'm not convinced, for the following reasons: According to the article by Alain DeCadanet, it was full size (and big enough to house a full size Orpheus replica, at any rate). Also, I have just been comparing some photos of Anthony Hopkins posing with the replica, with contemporary shots of DMC and the real thing. When DMC was standing in the cockpit, the top of the air intake was approximately at waist level; when he stood straddling the cockpit it was about level with the backs of his knees. This corresponds pretty much exactly with similar photos of AH with the replica, so unless DMC was a lot taller than AH, then surely the replica cannot have been significantly smaller than the original. Short of heading for Holker Hall with a tape measure, can anyone shed any further light on this?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

There's no question - the real boat is HUGE compared to the ATL mockup. I don't think people realise just how big K7 is. The mockup is the size everyone imagines the real boat to be so it looks right.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

I think this shot really gives away how small she is compared to the real deal.
It's posted on page 2 of this thread already.
ATL2_3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

Mike Bull wrote:Just for a start, the canopy (and thus, the whole cockpit) looks about a third too short, proportions-wise. Plus of course the trim's all wrong,and the tail fin on it is hopeless etc...

Yet, it works (enough) on screen and we all love the film anyway!
I think the trim is down to 3 big blokes perched on the bow! :lol:
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

Jordangbr wrote:
Mike Bull wrote:Just for a start, the canopy (and thus, the whole cockpit) looks about a third too short, proportions-wise. Plus of course the trim's all wrong,and the tail fin on it is hopeless etc...

Yet, it works (enough) on screen and we all love the film anyway!
I think the trim is down to 3 big blokes perched on the bow! :lol:
Mike's right about the trim... It has four blokes up forward... and it still rides higher than K7 ever did... If it was full scale it would have sat on the water stationary as K7 did as she was starting to plane... in terms of immersion.... They could have weighed it down to make it sit right, but that anemic evinrude outboard would have been a bit more hopeless....
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/