Across The Lake

Renegadenemo

Re: Across The Lake

Post by Renegadenemo »

klingon wrote:
turbocox wrote::idea: Somone get James Cameron on the phone, to make a big buget blockbuster life story of the Campbells and their achivements :shock:

That would be the second sinking boat movie for him then! :lol:

Just an idea :mrgreen:
Tried to get him on the phone once to get his notes for Carl's funeral - not a hope!
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

Looks like anyone who wants a copy will have to take the pirate route in that case. No other way around it.

I have some very attractive dvd cases with blank discs inside ;) ;) ;)
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
Graham Milne

Post by Graham Milne »

{Looks like anyone who wants a copy will have to take the pirate route in that case. No other way around it.}

No-one should feel in the slightest bit guilty if they have to buy pirate copies, if the original is no longer available from the supplier/owner then there should be no reason at all why you should not buy the next best thing. Call it illegal or not, if someone wants to sell a product (i.e not drugs etc) which no longer can be bought in a shop then as far as I'm concerned it's game on. Let's face it, it happens everywhere and will continue to do so.
I myself 2 years ago bought a fantastic 5-dvd disc collection of Donald Campbell material no longer available through your average retailer, including 'across the lake'. Cost me just over £20 and well worth every penny. If it's no longer on sale, then it can not be hurting anyone profit-wise.

If the BBC want to re-release it, I'll buy another copy from them too.........
;)
Looks like one of those new 'Japanese' sportscars..............
klingon

Post by klingon »

Contacted Challenger Investments in Glasgow today-(the "other half" of the production partnership)-The British Film institute have no copyright on the film-which has not been released due to an "intellectual copyright" dispute-Challenger are checking whats the story on this and will let me know what the script is on ownership of the programme. :geek:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
CHWk7

Post by CHWk7 »

Here we are a two page article on the mock up.

Chris
Mock_Up_02.JPG
Mock_Up_01_edited.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
klingon

Post by klingon »

klingon wrote:Contacted Challenger Investments in Glasgow today-(the "other half" of the production partnership)-The British Film institute have no copyright on the film-which has not been released due to an "intellectual copyright" dispute-Challenger are checking whats the story on this and will let me know what the script is on ownership of the programme. :geek:
Nope-no dice there either-This version of Challenger has only existed for 3 years-and has no records of the previous companies dealings-Think I'll just release the DVD myself and wait to see who sues me!-That's if I had a perfect digital copy of it though- :D :roll:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
Bluebird

Re: Across The Lake/Production Company

Post by Bluebird »

Hi There
I ve just looked at the board today for the first time in a wee while and I see a lot of discussion about the above. I think I can help with some info. I got a video copy of the film some years ago and I recall the company who co-produced it with the beeb was Challenger Productions in Guernsey. I got it directly from them around 1992 so I dont know if they still exist but a Google search may help.
Cheers :D
Mentallica

Post by Mentallica »

I've just watched the film for the first time (last night)

Found it very well done and quite moving in parts.

Anthony Hopkins was the perfect man for the job there and you can see where he got the skills to play Burt Munro in "the worlds fastest indian"

I'm interested to know how accurate it was though? I know there whould of had to been a bit of artistic licence taken.

Was Donald really such a player? and how was this film viewd by those who knew him?
Was the E-type Jag with the private numberplate a real thing (and does it still exist?)
How was the film recieved by the public and critics, at the time?

Assume the replica on display at Holker Hall is the machine form the ATL film and Blue Peter appearance? (and was also at the flower show last year?) I had my photo taken next to it when visiting HH many years ago.
Is that the only full(ish) size replica?

Being only a youn'un (28) the film (although not completly true to life) has really filled in some blanks about the various discussions on here (example the boathouse discussions) and I really think that the team are doing a great job in re-building Bluebird. I hope to be at Coniston with my Dad for her re-launch, it will be a truly monumental day.

I don't think that any argument of young folk not being interested in Bluebird or LSR/WSR has any substance. I'm a Scout leader and my kids (10-14) have had fun learning about Bluebird and Bloodhound recently with the use of various downloaded snips from youtube and some balloon propelled Scout made efforts!

keep up the great work
lsrdatabase

Post by lsrdatabase »

Mentallica wrote:Anthony Hopkins was the perfect man for the job there and you can see where he got the skills to play Burt Munro in "the worlds fastest indian"

Was Donald really such a player? and how was this film viewd by those who knew him?
Was the E-type Jag with the private numberplate a real thing (and does it still exist?)
How was the film recieved by the public and critics, at the time?

Assume the replica on display at Holker Hall is the machine form the ATL film and Blue Peter appearance? (and was also at the flower show last year?) I had my photo taken next to it when visiting HH many years ago.
Is that the only full(ish) size replica?
Hi Fred here,
My suggestion would be to read Tonia's book, 'My Speed King', It might not be always quite factual time wise, but it gives 'meat to the sandwich', a sort of insight to the couple themselves. The HH mock-up is as used in ATL, but the buck or mould which was used to produce it, is at Filching Manor. In fact, as far as the cockpit sides are concerned it's more accurate. I know, I reshaped it myself as shown in my book 'Rainbow'. I can still get people into the museum, if anyone is interested, and Sir Malcolm's K3 is still there as is the R37 engine.

Last I heard, the Jag DC7 is privately owned and is used on the road occasionally.

Regards, to all, Fred

"I'm just that bloke, who want go away!"
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Just to be perdantic, the E type DC was using at the time wasn't registered DC7. I located the original for use in Days The Shook The World for Tiger Aspects. I believe DC had sold the plate by mid 1966. Although Fred I am pretty certain DC's Jag owners club badge is in the cabinet in the coach house at Filching.

Dc's car from the last attempt is the one that appeared in Days, but not ATL, but it is still used, and as far as I know, totally original. Which raises the question, where is the plate DC7???
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................