Antiques Roadshow/Cockpit Discussion

f1steveuk

Re: Antiques Roadshow/Cockpit Discussion

Post by f1steveuk »

The most popular T shirt in the paddock of F1 events during free practise (never for quali or race!!), =

"To Spare The Gaffa Tape

Is

To Ruin The Job"

particularly in the BAR garage I recall..................
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Cockpit under construction. You can clearly see the steering drop arm, and a very straight control rod going to a bell crank. (Steering wheel is the K4 Prop rider wheel).

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Ahhh, seen that shot before, Steve, but nothing like as clear. Now I know what piece of Bloctube gubbins they used down there in the bottom, left-hand corner of the cockpit to get the steering outboard. Marvellous! Thanks for posting that. Don't suppose I could have a full size copy of that image for reference purposes?
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

On route!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Received safe and sound, Steve. Thanks.

So far that pic has settled doubt as to how the steering linkage attached, it clearly shows how the throttle pedal was fixed at its inboard end and possibly explains a seemingly redundant linkage in the fuel cock down on the right-hand side of the cockpit. Notice that the control box has two levers sticking out of it rather than the single one seen later so one seems to have been disconnected at some stage. There's a linkage in there that seems to go nowhere these days and that is most probably the answer to the mystery.
Keep the detail shots coming. The new diary update isn't far off and you'll be amazed at just how much we've been able to extract from a few photos now that the cockpit is coming together.

Excelsior2007

Post by Excelsior2007 »

Whenever I come onto the forum, I am always fascinated by the sheer volume of information and photographs detailing Bluebird and the modifications made to her during her career. Also makes me think that I ought to go back and study Into the Water Barrier again - which I haven't read in ages. Keep the pictures and information coming, please.
klingon

Post by klingon »

Mike Bull wrote:Ooh, very interesting- the steering gubbins, two handles in the Bloctube box, wider throttle pedal etc.
MMM!- that mebbe also answers the question about the single throttle control which was never in the Bloctube catalog!-but there were twins-will check out old manuals to see if I can identify for reference.
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

Seems strange i know but with Mick the block and me spending so much time on the floors we dont get to see the progress the rest of the team are making at the front until its lights out and time and go home when the session ends. Saturday i had the chance to have a good look at Mikes progress and its true, take the wheel and gubbins out of that picture and he has managed to recreate that to a T . well done Mike.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Saturday i had the chance to have a good look at Mikes progress and its true, take the wheel and gubbins out of that picture and he has managed to recreate that to a T . well done Mike.
It has to be said - Rob is absolutely right. We can all mend stuff and Rob's riveting team are very much the unsung heroes of this job because all you get is the rattle of a rivet gun and another immovably fixed panel while I try to turn out technically perfect welds that then get ground off and polished so you'd never know they existed but when it comes to combining mending things with artistry, Mike is the main man...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Yep, that is spooky!!!

On the right, as you look at this picture, a piece of cockpit rail??