Antiques Roadshow/Cockpit Discussion

CHWk7

Re: Antiques Roadshow/Cockpit Discussion

Post by CHWk7 »

Here is a photo of the cockpit after the speedo had been moved into Donalds eye line, no evidence here of any medallions here. Chris
n_a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CHWk7

Post by CHWk7 »

Just a thought but maybe it might be worth asking Paul Evans about this as he would have spent time in the cockpit for radio fitment so he might remember. Chris
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Leo was quite clear that DC didn't refit Malcolm's St Christopher for '66, why I have no idea. DC's vehicle St Christopher had a hinged top, where there were the signatures of the team who presented it (there is a picture of it somewhere). I recall four screw holes, one in each corner, and it was roughly 3x3 inches, so you'd see it, or the holes it left! Now of course IF Sir Malcolm's Blue Bird was fitted, how did Gina come to have it????
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
James Von Jetpump

Post by James Von Jetpump »

CHWk7 wrote:Here is a photo of the cockpit after the speedo had been moved into Donalds eye line, no evidence here of any medallions here. Chris
n_a.jpg
That photo of Paul Allonby's is about the only one I know of the cockpit in it's last guise - pity he didn't pop round the other side and take another one ... no photo's of the cockpit from 1966 I know of show either the St Christopher or the Bluebird.

Be worth asking Paul Evans exactly what it was he dragged from the water in 1967 - the steering column and wheel were definately part of it and quite a sizable chunk of the bodywork - could part of this have been the dash ?

AndyG
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

As it happens Paul called this afternoon to wish us a Happy New Year and he sounded in fine fettle but the parts he carried up the beach in 67 are all accounted for. The pile of scrap in question comprised the RH cockpit rail, most of the F-18 bulkhead, the alloy angle that carried the lower edge of the instrument panel, all of the F-20 bulkhead and the steering box and column. Nothing there we don't know and understand, I'm afraid.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

I think there's a picture of the hinged top St Christopher in the original With Campbell at Coniston, or Donald Campbell by Knowles, but I know there is one! It may give a clue as to where it lived, but it sounds like it may have been moved.................
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
polo

Post by polo »

Sorry posted this bit of info on another link.
I was looking at one of my videos today and it shows a direct shot into the cockpit of the boat in 66/67. If Bill wants a copy[any swaps??] I will be happy to send one if you give me an address.
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

K7 Cockpit 55 1.jpg
K7 Cockpit 55 2.jpg
Here are a couple more pics of the cockpit dating from 55 (so not sure they are of much relevance) The first one is upside down, and for some reason my laptop fails to save it when i display it the right way up.

Hope they help

Neil

Fixed your inverted image for you Neil -Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
polo

Post by polo »

Mike, looks like same footage. If not, its the same picture so my stuff won't help, at least I tried..or is that i'm very trying??
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Ah, Mike - you missed something interesting.

If those pics are from 55 (and if Neil says so then that's that) then it seems the floor was raised forward of F-18 very early in the boat's career.

For those who don't know what the hell we're on about, the cockpit floor was raised 2 inches to make it flat between frames 18 and 19 where the throttle pedal is positioned. This, presumably, was so that Donald had something to rest his heel on when operating the throttle but it can't have been done straight away because the inner floor, the one that was covered over by the raised section, shows plenty of evidence that it was walked upon with gritty shoes, something that would have been impossible once the floor was raised. And to think the 'experts' told us we'd destroy history by rebuilding the boat...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.