Antiques Roadshow/Cockpit Discussion

sheppane

Re: Antiques Roadshow

Post by sheppane »

Renegadenemo wrote:I've often wondered whether there really was a St Christopher in K7's cockpit. I've never seen a pic of it but in Leo's book he says it was there. It wasn't on the dash panel and we've got pretty much everything else so was it really there?
For those wondering what is being referred to, it was on the 57-64 dash panel. It's on the left, behind the wheel. The Bluebird nameplate is on the corresponding position to the right.
ARC179064 (5696) 023 s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sheppane on Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
Jordangbr

Re: Antiques Roadshow/Cockpit Discussion

Post by Jordangbr »

Not sure if this has been asked or mentioned but is the medallion on CN7's dash?
Also is there the posibility that it was given away when K7 was refitted as per the instruments that were presented to Sir Max and Lady Vi Aitken?
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

As Gina has the plaque, why not ask her where it came from?? e.g direct from the estate, or recovered. Leo's "to do list" does say "fit mascots", but that doesn't mean to say he did, but for the super superstious Campbell to run without them is strange.

As for references to DC's will, I gave my probate copies to David Tremayne, and they were dated 1966.
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

I lent my copy of Ted Hammel's journal to someone, who then proceeded (against the instructions of the original owner) to produce copies, and failed to return mine, but from memory the "Dame Edna's" were fitted sometime late November? so I'd guess those shots were November/December?
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

I have never said this before, but I was convinced the last time I visited Jean Wales, I saw the hinged St Christopher, and if Leo had them in his possesion after the accident, that's exactly who I think he would have given them to, and Leo also had Mr Tiki when he died. What I cannot rconcile, is that Donald Campbell, who took superstition to new heights, would have run without his mascots/tokens, be they mounted on the vehicle, or in his pocket.
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

The first pic was taken I believe on the 24th November. Donald completed a number of runs that day at around 150 mph. The raised Speedo is not fitted as of then.

The next time Bluebird was afloat for a run was on the 29th November, when she was launched soon after dawn. I don't have any images from that day that show any detail. The next launch date was the 10th December. It is in situ on that date.
The additional L shaped strip was added to the baffles at the time, on the 30th November.

I would estimate that the speedo was moved after the run of the 29th November.
My guess the speedo shot was taken at or around the same time as the famous dented Spar shot, around the 2nd January.

Mike Bull wrote:Can any of our experts here help me to put dates to two pictures please?

First there's this one, credited to Paul Allonby and from 'With Campbell At Coniston'. Bluebird has the repaired intakes and her last style of spray deflectors, though not in their final guise-
01.jpg
-then there's this famous Paul Allonby shot of the cockpit. Do we happen to know when this was taken exactly?
02.jpg
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/