Antiques Roadshow/Cockpit Discussion

Renegadenemo

Re: Antiques Roadshow/Cockpit Discussion

Post by Renegadenemo »

Didn't we acquire some clump weights for Predator that way and wern't they "Acquired" from the police underwater search team !!!!
Yep... that would be the same day we nicked their fuel tank, tend-lines and depth sounder, not to be confused with the time we stole their gloves, Thermos flasks and hi-vis jackets with Police across the back. We definitely won the thievery contest with the cops but they did have a few of our bits and bobs away too.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Bill, your middle name isn't Fagin is it??
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................

klingon

Post by klingon »

Who Bill "Five fingered discount" Smith?-Naaaah! :lol:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Bill, your middle name isn't Fagin is it??
It wasn't thievery for dishonest reasons of for gain it was more a kind of national sport for divers when not underwater - seeing how much of each other's gear you can snaffle. It was invariably returned unless it was things like clump weights or dive timers where there always dozens of them floating about and you didn't worry about whether the one you took home was yours or someone else's. The Mancunians and Scousers were world leaders at the sport with Geordies a poor third.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

I had a trip over to Cowes to watch some racing at the weekend and also popped into the Sir Max Aitken Museum which was very interesting and became more interesting when I saw these two items.
They are the two speedo's taken from K7's cockpit after the 64 double record and one was presented to Sir Max and the other to his wife Vi by Donald. Does anyone know why K7 needed two speedo's?
GetAttachment[3].jpg
GetAttachment[4].jpg
GetAttachment[6].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!

sheppane

Post by sheppane »

Mike Bull wrote:I used to assume that the smaller of these two speedos from '64 was re-used in the final '66/'67 version of the cockpit, but clearly now it wasn't, because Donald's 'friend' Vi had it! So the '66 panel must have received a new/spare unit.

I wonder when these presentations were made- did they gut the cockpit soon after the double when they thought K7's work was finished, or was it not until the old stuff was removed for the refit in mid '66?
I'm pretty sure that the smaller of the two is the same one used in CN7 in 64. It is most certainly of the same type.
I think the cockpit instrument panel was only amended in the summer of 66 during the refit. Remember, after K7 broke her half of the double, she was considered retired. It would therefore not be a total surprise if theses items were removed before that.... Least they're not at Filching!
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/

f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Well other Bluebirds had two speedos, usually so that one could be filmed. There's boxes of cine film of speedos, taken during runs, but these weren't usually both in the cockpit!! My guesess would be that either one is air speed, and the other a water speed (any holes in the rudder post?) or both air speed, one from clean air and one for near the intakes.
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The smaller of the two is the same type as used used on its own later. Maybe they were mounted together to be sure that the smaller one was reading correctly before the dash was reworked. After all, the bigger one had effectively been calibrated while being timed on record attempts so it ought have provided a reliable benchmark.

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Maybe they are back-ups - one to the other. Just a possibility.

I suggest that, only because we have two on Quicksilver's dashboard - they have been there for ages, right in the line of sight, at the top of the dash. One is airspeed, displayed in knots, linked to our pitot system, the other is "ground speed" (for want of a better description), displayed in mph, linked to our on-board electronics/GPS.

It's good to have a back-up in front of you on the dash, so that if one fails or is telling you something daft (you never know, maybe a hummingbird's nesting in the pitot tube?), you can glance at the other one and rapidly get some reassurance.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

It's good to have a back-up in front of you on the dash, so that if one fails or is telling you something daft (you never know, maybe a hummingbird's nesting in the pitot tube?), you can glance at the other one and rapidly get some reassurance.
Ah, but if you only have two, how do you know which one is telling porkies? You need three so voting logic gets rid of the duffer. Even that doesn't work every time.

I was in on the early days of rebreather diving and our units at the time had three O2 sensors, all of which had to be calibrated before each day's diving. They're galvanic fuel cells so eventually they use up their fuel and die whereupon they won't calibrate and the 'breather won't let you go diving. This was all fine and dandy until the units were a year or so old and started throwing up dual cell failures because the calls were being treated absolutely identically day in, day out so they occasionally failed simultaneously. Up to then the unit had always assumed that if one cell read substantially different to the others it must be the faulty one but there were some near-misses when divers had two failures on the same dive and the supposedly rogue cell was actually the only one working properly! What would happen is that the failed cells were telling the computer that the O2 needed topping up but despite injecting more the cells weren't telling the computer that the problem was fixed so it kept trying as the diver was pushed towards a high-oxygen event. After that it became common practice to replace the cells at intervals so they were all at different points in their working lives. That put a stop to the problem.