Pic of the Day

Dominic Owen

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by Dominic Owen » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm

Girl wrote:
Renegadenemo wrote:
Not so sure about the choice of footware though................(H&S be damned!)
We call them her 'safety pumps'. Normally she has the cutest pair of tiny, steel-capped workboots you ever did see.

It was roasting hot working all week welding and having to keep with H&S so when i dressed for the Bluebird workshop on Saturday i dressed for comfort in the heat. Still nearly melted though :(
I succumbed only once to dressing for comfort over safety, while welding a prototype stainless exhaust system in the middle of summer (something about stainless, I learnt, seems to intensify the effect) - I was melting in my nomex overalls, even with only a cut-off t-shirt underneath, so I rolled them down... :roll:
After having a whole arm turn the same colour as my vintage Welsh rugger top and it then peeling in a single sheet like a strip of wallpaper, I can safely say "Never again!" :lol:
I wish I had a photo - It looked truely horrendous but, surprisingly, didn't even sting or itch.
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:34 am

Stainless is an evil metal. It can be white hot in one spot and cold to the touch a inch away. Heat just won't move through it though it welds easily but there's no getting round the UV. You either cover up or get ray-burns and they're very unhealthy so we melt under long sleeved tops and gloves instead.
I know we bitch about H&S but it's the overdone, bureaucratic variety that winds us up. You'll still find plenty of gloves, ear defenders and glasses in our workshop and we use them where there's a genuine risk.

When I worked in the automotive industry I was often asked to write risk assessments and this is how it went every time.

Risk - this activity may prove dangerous for unforeseen reasons.
Remedy - apply common sense.

It caused riots but not even the lawyers couldn't debunk its logic. :D
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Richie

Post by Richie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:22 am

Argh fiddlesticks and there was me going to bring a foil sheet, some sun tan oil and me K7 flip flops to the workshop.... guess it will have to be the stand and tan then. :roll:
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

captain sparkle

Post by captain sparkle » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:47 am

Re: todays pic-
That's amazing! wouldn't like to have to plumb that lot in from memory, the morning after a night before, if you know what i mean!
Glad your keeping it in a tank, they wreaked havoc against keanu reeves in the matrix!

Richie

Post by Richie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:35 pm

Mike..

You may want to change the shpiel that goes with todays POTD ;)

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:47 pm

:roll:

Mr Smith's typo duly corrected, with apologies from the proof reading department!

Andrew453

Post by Andrew453 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:26 pm

Mike Bull wrote::roll:

Mr Smith's typo duly corrected, with apologies from the proof reading department!
Damn! Missed it...was it smutty? :lol:
Cracking POTD. I must feel really good to see that lot coming back to life. Well done.

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:41 pm

Perhaps I can ask THE question about the POD (18/10) showing two screws along with lots of holes - are the screw slots aligned as they were on the 4th January? :roll:

Could not find a picture like it in Neils fine book.

By the way I am ducking .....

Malcolm

PS did some one say May 2012? :o
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:16 am

:D

Ah, I'm the one responsible for 'screwing Girl's whole'. This bit has foam glued over it to seal the rear of the canopy, so I shall align the screw heads as I see fit! :lol:

Richie

Post by Richie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:53 pm

I've said it before so i will say it again.... K7 has a lovely shaped rear ! latest POTD she is looking great and not a bit of dead metal to be seen.....Helpless lotto fools surely must have been able to see that although damaged, on the whole K7 was restorable, and worth it saying she and Donald touched the hearts of many all over the globe.. hey ho as they say ;)