Pic of the Day

sheppane

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by sheppane »

Renegadenemo wrote:
5) The first run on 4 January was not without incident as has been generally claimed but demonstrated evidence of instability at the climax of that run and catastrophe was only narrowly averted.
No arguing with that but there's also nothing definite to say that catastrophe could not have been narrowly averted a second time - but not without the engine.
Bill, Of course you're right, we will probably never know for certain, but the fact that K7 bounced free of the water 5 times on the starboard sponson suggests a much more serious breakdown in stability on the second run.

Even if the engine had kept functioning on the return run, it is difficult to see how DC could have got out of the throttle without precipitating a similar reaction. Remember once the engine cut out, it would wind down gradually over a few seconds. Intake drag would build, and what little downward pressure on the bows that remained would gradually bleed away. Backing out of the throttle would have been like walking a tightrope. DC would certainly have the skill, but I suspect he would have needed more luck than could possibly be mustered. Its a fascinating subject though, hopefully one which may yet get some more answers when K7 is finished.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Remember once the engine cut out, it would wind down gradually over a few seconds.
In actual fact the rotating parts of those pure thrust turbojets, especially small ones like the Orph' lose their energy very quickly indeed so the loss of thrust would be near instantaneous. It's never healthy to remain locked into a single theory, 'pet-theory-itis' we always called it and it was the reason many a missing shipwreck wasn't found much earlier than it could have been.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Today's POTD displays more graphically than, certainly, I have ever seen, just how massive the transformation has been that took the mangled and rusted wreckage of Bluebird to the splendid condition it is in today.

It could usefully be forwarded to anyone who doubted the value of restoring the boat in the first place or the commitment of the BBP team to seeing their quest through to the very end.

Nigel

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Today's POTD displays more graphically than, certainly, I have ever seen, just how massive the transformation has been that took the mangled and rusted wreckage of Bluebird to the splendid condition it is in today.
It amazes me as much as anyone, as does looking at the new parts we've made. I keep wondering when we ever found the time to do all that stuff.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

I too am loving the 'retro' pics every bit as much as the 'progress' ones - It really is too easy to forget, when looking at the old girl as she is now, just how far things have come and just how much work it's involved. One additional impact the RPotD has had on me, however, is to bring back to mind the emotion and excitement it all evoked at the time. It's something you just can't explain, describe or really quantify at all to someone new to the project.
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...

Stuart Baker

Post by Stuart Baker »

Mike Bull wrote:
I still think it was fundamentally the fuel system wot done it...
Sorry I've not looked in for a while - just dropped by to read the diary and see if you've got any closer to running the Orph yet...

Anyway, could help but think that it is never easy to say that one thing caused an accident. Search t'internet for articles about James Reason and the Swiss Chees model for more, or read this great case study and try and decide for yourself which one factor caused this near accident... http://www.aviationtoday.com/am/repairs ... 1wX_s9OXIU

Meanwhile, back at the Orph, I'm not foolish enough to ask if there is a plan ;) , but are we talking this year or next?

Keep up the great work,

S

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Meanwhile, back at the Orph, I'm not foolish enough to ask if there is a plan ;) , but are we talking this year or next?
Sorry, Stuart - must've missed that one. The usual suspects were good enough to travel up a couple of weeks ago to sort the last of our plumbing issues and the Orph' is currently sitting the right way up with most of its pipes on, it's not our fault that our PRL is the marine version with pipes no one has ever seen before... :( Getting ever closer.

On the matter of the pic of the day, I have finally extracted my finger and sorted out a new run of pic's. Just need Mike to start posting them.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Sorry, Stuart - must've missed that one. The usual suspects were good enough to travel up a couple of weeks ago to sort the last of our plumbing issues and the Orph' is currently sitting the right way up with most of its pipes on, it's not our fault that our PRL is the marine version with pipes no one has ever seen before... :( Getting ever closer.

On the matter of the pic of the day, I have finally extracted my finger and sorted out a new run of pic's. Just need Mike to start posting them.

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

I, for one, am really enjoying these retro POTD "featurettes" ...

Lots of fascinating snippets of info!

There must be quite a few out here beyond the immediate circle of the project who haven't followed the detail of the conservation/restoration until fairly recently, and who are now learning all the in's and out's.

Of course - like everyone else - I watched the live TV coverage when the boat was first recovered, as well as the famous BBC doco which showed the wreckage in pretty much as-recovered state in the workshop. But I hadn't been following the restoration in any detail, and don't remember even being particularly aware of this website until a few years ago, so there's plenty value in the retro look-backs for lots of folks on here I'm sure.

Nigel

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

...and still water has come out of her, up until quite recently- and yet this is the object that the experts wanted to leave untouched..!
This is something that I couldn't comprehend at the time and still don't - that you can show water and salts oozing from a metal structure in places you could only dream of accessing in the full and clear knowledge that the object is consuming itself yet a so-called expert will ooh and ahh and say you can't intervene. I said at the time that the 'experts' were nothing of the sort and that, in fact, they were idiots and the distance of time and experience has done nothing to alter that view.