Pic of the Day

rob565uk

Pic of the Day

Post by rob565uk »

Everyone's generous comments are much appreciated. The probability of reviving the batteries was very small but after seeing some promising signs at the start, I decided it was worth persevering. It took 4 months to get to this stage. Considering they went through a high-G, high impact accident, lay on the bottom of Coniston for 34 years and then spent another 15 or so on the shelf in the Workshop, it still amazes me that they have come to life. The big question now is .... for how long?

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
ron54

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by ron54 »

Any idea what make the batteries are?....If the original makers are still in business they may be pleased to "help you" if replacements are required..

A wonderful job by the way- as a sparks myself I am not envious,jealous or regretting that don't live closer at all......much .
rob565uk

Pic of the Day

Post by rob565uk »

The batteries are Lucas, which is now owned by Manbat and we are in touch with them. They are 75 A-h and of a type fitted routinely to Jaguar and Aston Martin cars in the 1960s. The two are used in series to give a 24 volt supply, suitable for the needs of the Orpheus engine and other devices such as the water brake, whose hydraulic system came from the Gnat donor aircraft.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I do welding and fuel systems with springs and pressures and things and studiously avoid anything with no moving parts. So the batteries had the dust blown off them, were filled with fresh juice and now they're batteries again without the addition of a single gasket or o-ring. Amazing? Yes... Surprising - not really. Our Checkie knows his onions. He can't weld and I haven't the faintest clue how come those batteries are working again. That's why we're a team.
Amazing work, Checkie! :D
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Thank you kind Sir - 'twas just a trifle [.]

conistoncollie

Post by conistoncollie »

Today's pic, steering wheel. Beautiful!
riding shotgun

Post by riding shotgun »

It's hard to believe that not to many years ago what you now see in the photo wasn't there, one hell of a job.
mark-f

Post by mark-f »

I understand that the original Bluemells wheel was lost, or is at least no available. Who supplied the beautiful replacement?
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

Todays pic looks awesome.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The new wheel has been a long time coming. The stainless frame was laser cut for us by an old pal called Ronnie who is an absolute genius in these parts on the laser. The blank was then shipped to a splendidly helpful chap called Paul at this place.

http://www.myrtleltd.com/

He did the rim and then Barry Hares did the boss and nut. Mike made the stainless disc around the front and I set the rivets to hold it together. Team effort as ever.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.