Pic of the Day

midlife

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by midlife »

Thanks for that, where was the pic taken please?
Cheers
Wayne

Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

It’s hanging on the wall in Brooklands
conistoncollie

Post by conistoncollie »

Interesting photo. Union Jack upside down.

In 1966 'white' was brighter (whiter) than 'Old English White', which as the name suggests, harks back to an earlier white made from White Lead mixed with oil.
Lead was dangerous, and fugitive (it went grey over time). Titanium white was used for most white paint commercially. It is the discolouration of the oil which gives the yellowing with age, especially in smoky atmospheres (coal smoke / cigarette smoke etc.).
Remember the insides of pubs before the smoking ban?
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

Just called Magnolia now 😂
Healey nut

Post by Healey nut »

My 1964 Healey in correct OEW taken in daylight under the shade of the trees .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thats not an oil leak , its my patent pending Old British Sports Car rustproofing system . :mrgreen:
thunderer

Post by thunderer »

You can see the tint in that quite plainly. Definitely not a "pure" white. Well, not to a trained eye anyway.
Just cos my username is Thunderer, doesn't necessarily mean I SHOUT !!
"A vehicle is designed to be used, restored or otherwise" A personal response on the question "you have just restored it, why use it?"
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

There must be someone who was around in 1966 and who saw K7 close up and maybe could give guidance on the 'white'
conistoncollie

Post by conistoncollie »

Only one of the Bristol Siddeley badges was present. It was an etched stainless steel thing. We took it off and gave it to Gina and it currently resides in the museum in Dumbelyung.
Would it be safe to assume these BS logos were taken off Gnat XM691 which had them affixed to each side of the fuselage?
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Seems the most likely.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

You will all no doubt be pleased to know that the off-white roundel is gradually turning brilliant, Humbrol 22 white with the addition of each thin coat. Forgot to take a pic, of course, but it's on the way.

It would have looked amazing in the off-white but it would have been historically incorrect. It's been interesting having one of our many technical dilemmas discussed and decided on the forum. There has been very many of them and they are both challenging and stimulating to say nothing of the competition between the members of the team to be the one who correctly interpreted this or that image. All I can say is that it's a bloody good job we settled the steering geometry problem in-house and behind closed doors because K7 would still have no steering to this day had we put that one up for public debate! :lol: :lol:
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.