Pic of the Day

Terminator

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by Terminator »

Another excellent pic of the day Mike. Mind you that steering column looks a bit dodgy though. :lol: Having been the instigator of Pic of the day you begin to realise what a fantastic idea it was. :idea: So much so that others have just had to copy it :D

Novie
"I've Gone"
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"

lsrdatabase

K7's 'Blown' canopy

Post by lsrdatabase »

Hi Bill,

I'm sorry to have to contradict you with the caption on 'pic of the day', but the blown canopy wasn't fitted untill after the Lake Mead record. Unless that is, my archive and both of my books are in-correct, which they are not.

Regards, Fred

'I'm just that bloke, who won't go away!'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I'm sorry to have to contradict you with the caption on 'pic of the day', but the blown canopy wasn't fitted untill after the Lake Mead record. Unless that is, my archive and both of my books are in-correct, which they are not.
I stand contradicted - and corrected. You're absolutely right, Fred. I was going for an explanation of how the inner cockpit rails work and forgot that K7 made a few outings with the raised spar but the old cockpit arrangement still in place.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

turbocox

Post by turbocox »

Nice picture of the day, the old orph ready to be lifted out.
Q1. When shes ready to dance again, will it be the fifth engine to grace her?

Q2. Oh and "who's" ;) had a off in their RS 200? ,I spy a rear end body section in the background :roll: :geek: :geek:
Last edited by turbocox on Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
All men dream: but not equally,Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Q2. Oh and "who's" had a off in their RS 200? ,I spy a rear end body section in the background
No idea how many engines have been in there and as we have two more we'll probably lose count by the time we're done. The RS rear end is a spare. I have enough bits to build a spare car - just in case there is an 'off''.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

mtskull

Post by mtskull »

[quote="Renegadenemo"][quote]
No idea how many engines have been in there

As a starting suggestion, how about:

1) Original Beryl from the cancelled Saro SR.A/1 flying boat fighter
2) Replacement Beryl (from same source?) after Lake Mead sinking
3) Orpheus from Gnat XM691
4) Replacement Orpheus following 1966 air intake collapse at Coniston.

Any advance on four?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

turbocox

Post by turbocox »

turbocox wrote:

Q2. Oh and "who's" ;) had a off in their RS 200? ,I spy a rear end body section in the background :roll: :geek: :geek:

Q1. so it will be the fifth then 8-)

Q2. I'm such a geek to have spotted that rear end :geek: :geek:
All men dream: but not equally,Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

sheppane

Post by sheppane »

mtskull wrote:
Renegadenemo wrote:
No idea how many engines have been in there

As a starting suggestion, how about:

1) Original Beryl from the cancelled Saro SR.A/1 flying boat fighter
2) Replacement Beryl (from same source?) after Lake Mead sinking
3) Orpheus from Gnat XM691
4) Replacement Orpheus following 1966 air intake collapse at Coniston.

Any advance on four?
2 Beryl's and two Orpheus' (Orphei?) 4 sounds correct to me but K7 also had an engine change in Nov 57.
From memory, the team had 3 Beryl's, only two of which were really serviceable, the other being useable for many spares. The original engine, which was replaced after the sinking at Lake Mead, was overhauled, and then re-installed in Nov 57 after the Lake Mead and Coniston 56 record engine was damaged during a static test.

So by my calculation, the original Beryl engine took the Ullswater record, and then all records from 57-64 inclusive. The original spare Beyrl took the second 55 and the 56 record.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

2 Beryl's and two Orpheus' (Orphei?)
Orpheuses (Orpheus' would be the posessive plural) - it's Greek. Were it Latin it would be Orphei. Like Octopuses, Octo is Latin but 'pus' is Greek for foot it would be 'pod' in Latin.

Right - that's quite enough of that.

bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

Every days a school day.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong