Pic of the Day

Renegadenemo

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by Renegadenemo »

Wasn't it the RDF windows in the top of the fuselage that brought the Comet down? But then it was British flights out of the notoriously insecure Rome airport that seem to have been affected with many countries flying the allegedly weak Comet I for many years without mishap.

I'm sure Redux still exists though I don't know what it's made of. The orange gloop that Lotus stick their extruded chassis rails together with is the business when it comes to gluing ali though.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

As I recall, the adhesive Lotus use so successfully is a single-part epoxy type, cured at around 180C. Lotus manufacture 2mm "pips" on the components to ensure optimal adhesive thickness between.

As Bill says, amazing stuff once it's on............

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Mike Bull wrote:Who's that fat lad waving F2 about in the current pic then?! :lol:
Can't be Bill - too much hair :D

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

KW Mitchell wrote:I think the following section of video is illuminating:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ftZfB-VNQ
(derived from 'Across the Lake').

As BB passes the face of the camera tramping very severely (timer marker: 6.00mins >) there are then 3-4 pitching cycles when the boat is completely clear of the water then banging down (timer marker: 6.08mins >6.10mins).

Tramping is not occurring during this phase as the fin is visibly straight up and down and not rolling side-to-side.

BB is fully airborne in those phases. The question is;

'Is this the result of marginal stability alone and down-thrust couple is restoring BB to the water surface after each pitch into the air or is it more complicated and compounded by an oscillating thrust (fuel starvation/controlled throttle reduction cause or oscillating thrustline component due to a moving engine ---------------'.
This footage is from the Canadian film crew, but the complete lack of spray at 6:08 certainly is noticable, as it was when I ran all the film footage through an Avid, noticable enough that when looking at the BBC footage, from the other side, you could see that it was rolling, not totally clear.......
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Mike Bull wrote:I chopped out the colour Canadian footage of the crash for us all to have a look at recently, and what struck us all at the time was how from this angle you can see a lot more of how the boat hit the water- a lot more over on her left side than the more familiar B&W crash clip would lead you to believe.
Your right Mike, a very telling piece of film. I bet they got some fantastic stuff while they were there, wonder where it went!

Niether the BBC, ITN, Pathe, British Movietone or the British Film library have any footage that is unedited :(
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
huszarail

Pic of the day 19/6/09

Post by huszarail »

Regarding that space where the F.C.U. used to be. Can someone post the exact engine type and series and I'll have a nose around at work and see if I can find any helpful data that might be an aid to reconnecting that pipework.

Mark.
I'm only a man from Del Monte..........
lsrdatabase

Re: Pic of the day 19/6/09

Post by lsrdatabase »

Hi all,

Can anyone give me the wording beside the Pic of the Day 18th June. I've all of them saved as a screen print as well as the daily pic, and missing this one leaves a nasty hole in the archive.

I would appreciate it if someone could help me out here.

Regards to all, Fred
klingon

Post by klingon »

huszarail wrote:Regarding that space where the F.C.U. used to be. Can someone post the exact engine type and series and I'll have a nose around at work and see if I can find any helpful data that might be an aid to reconnecting that pipework.

Mark.
Bristol Orpheus 701-unsure of the mark of the engine from Dehavilland-think it's a different mark from the original-mebbe BOR2 but don't quote me on that-
cheers-Andy
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Which pic did we use on the 18th? I'll have the text. As for the engine, it's an early MK701, serial number 711.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
DMCK7 Fan

Post by DMCK7 Fan »

It was one of the frame sitting in dim light (as she does most of the time) due to the work being done by you wonderful volunteeers. It said something along those lines if I remember .