Pic of the Day

Mike Bull

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by Mike Bull » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:26 am

Pic from the Lakeland's Facebook page- I don't think they wanted anyone to miss the wheels! :lol:

20526177_1442017552520473_8967464436707220598_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richie

Post by Richie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:17 am

Mind with the shadows on the top of the wheels they do look like they are fitted to that sponson
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Richie

Post by Richie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:45 am

Love that little contents gauge ! They just don't make gauges with as much detail these days
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

sheppane

Post by sheppane » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:40 pm

Re wiring loom. Completely stands to reason when you think about. It travels on the floor of the boat and therefore why would you need to cut it when the intakes are off. Have we identified which wires were cut and then rejoined?

N
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. http://www.bluebirdk7.com

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:47 pm

Our Checkie may be able to answer more fully, but off the top of my head I would say that it was the wire for the RPM gauge, which was separate to the main loom, and the wiring for the little fire extinguisher panel as well; I think that's the stuff you can see coming up from the left hand side and vanishing into the top of the intakes.

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:48 pm

I believe Mike is right. My logic is that both the specific tachometer wiring for the Orpheus and that for the fire panel were added or modified in the 1966 rebuild and as such, it is unlikely they could have been inserted into the trunking, which was already well filled with the main wiring loom.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it

nahae

Post by nahae » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:54 pm

...and the first new picture we see upon said project leader's return is of our dear old granny wetting herself, tut! :lol:

jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:19 pm

Not a Check(ie) to be seen either :)
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..

Techteam

Post by Techteam » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:15 am

Quick question about the adding of material to the floors. If they overlapped one way do the panels butt up in the other direction or do you have to joggle the bit your adding?

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:00 am

Quick question about the adding of material to the floors. If they overlapped one way do the panels butt up in the other direction or do you have to joggle the bit your adding?
It's one continuous floor 18' long so it has to be welded back together. We cut it at that position because everything forward of the cut was damaged and everything aft nice and flat. That left us a much smaller piece to repair but once mended the shrinkage left us a gap to deal with. as it has to be heat treated we didn't want a discontinuity in the material type running right across it so we harvested a slither from the outer edge of the joggle where the floors meet longitudinally leaving all the rivet holes so we can join the floor lengthwise and the area we stole from not only doesn't affect the joint in any way but it also cannot be seen. The harvested piece was the fusion welded without filler to the aft edge of the forward floor section leaving it 1/32nd long to allow for weld shrinkage and when all the repairs are made it will likewise be fused to the aft piece of floor making it once more a continuous sheet of the same material (7068 aluminium)
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."