Pic of the Day

Renegadenemo

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by Renegadenemo »

At least this time we're adopting a more structured approach to the thing (pun intended).
What happened before is that whoever was available made up a piece and stuffed it into the relevant station along the sponson but that meant that we were swimming in parts and never really knew what was built and what wasn't, and in order not to get in each other's way bits were made for both ends and the middle all at the same time.
When the time came to check that it was all there and stamp up all the parts we discovered about six times that something wasn't made and had to get back on the tools. This time we're building, stamping and prepping one frame at a time so we know nothing has been left out.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Well we could have had a tiny bit of tinsel and decorations about the old girl :D
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"

Terminator

Post by Terminator »

On reflection i did actually. Whoops :oops:
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"

sbt

Post by sbt »

Are you sure that its actually 5 x 7 and not something like 4 2/3 x 7 or 5 x 7.5 ?

The official relative dimensions of the Union Flag have been 1:2 for a long time, except with the army where it was 3:5, but a lot of flags are shown at 2:3. None of these fit 5in by 7in but its damn close to 4.66in x 7in.

I realise that you work off the historical evidence but it might be worth a double check, just in case whoever painted the flags used one of the common ratios, even if it is the unofficial one.

In any case, this page shows the 'correct' way to lay out the various ratios - obviously in 66 whoever painted those flags may have used their own scheme but again its something to check so at least you will then _know_ whoever painted the flags got it 'wrong' before you carefully follow suit.

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/gb_var.html#23

<Climbs _off_ soapbox, places over head and climbs back inside>

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I realise that you work off the historical evidence but it might be worth a double check, just in case whoever painted the flags used one of the common ratios, even if it is the unofficial one.
That's done it! You've likely put Mr Mike Bull OCD into a frenzy of checking, re-checking and checking again. Do you realise that with that one post you may have set the project back half a year?

For my part, I'll paint the things any which way and any size you like.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

sbt

Post by sbt »

OCD - Original is Correct, Dammit!

I might have known, from reading the site and forum, that you would be _way_ ahead of me!

Still, its details like this that add interest to me, like the missteps in original build. They are clues and pointers to the existence of the various people behind Donald and the better known members of the team.

Someone painted those flags, who was it? Were they done by a professional brought in? Why are the flags that size? Was it ascetics or lack of knowledge? Did they know that they were the 'wrong' shape? Were they copied from somewhere else? If so, where? Were there Australian and US flags still there below the port Union Jack? Its questions like that that bring things to life for me.

Its also the effort put into details like this that shows the rest of the boat will be as correct as human effort can make it be.

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

Mike - there will have been the US flag on there at some time too. So in the need for full accuracy what are the proportions of that flag ;) and did it get taken off with thinners or wet and dry?

I see from another thread that congratulations are in order too. :? Didn't you know you shouldn't get married when you have a mistress taking up all of your spare time :roll:
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Of course, all of the above in team-speak is 'Bullfrog spent hours stood on a stool staring down at the nose'!

You ever watch a heron waiting on a fish?

sheppane

Post by sheppane »

K7 had numerous flag iterations during her career:

The background behind these flags is to signify the nationality of the boat and the nationality of the attempt venue.

Ullswater 1955 - None.

Lake Mead 1955 - Crossed Stars and Stripes and Union Jack, partly falling down over the nose as opposed to wholly on the flat fore deck.

Lake Coniston 1956 - None.

Lake Canandaigua - 1957 Same as Lake Mead but quite a bit larger. The Canadian flag was added when the attempt moved to Canada (not the Maple Leaf). This was added as the same size, on the foredeck, centred above the crossed nose flags. This configuration was retained for the November 57 Coniston attempt.

Lake Coniston - 1958 & 59. Crossed Union Flags on the front of the flat fore-deck with poles and rope falling down the nose.

Australia - 1964 Crossed Union Flag and Australian Flag (Smaller the 58/9) flat on fore deck along with flag poles and rope also flat on the foredeck.

Coniston - 1966/67 Crossed Union Flags on the flat fore-deck (Smaller than 58/9, but larger than 64) Flag poles and rope do not fall over nose.

I'm not aware of the reason that the 55 and 56 attempts did carry the crossed bow flags.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/

Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

I've just been zoomed right in on the bow/fore-deck in a picture from '66. Did I really just count 52 fasteners holding that little strip of track in place?!?! :shock:
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...