Pic of the Day

Dominic Owen

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by Dominic Owen »

2006-2007 vintage? :geek:
PotD.jpg
...yet another effect of that colossal blow from the left...
And yet I'll wager there is STILL a lengthy queue of armchair experts willing to contest the details of the incident analysis.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

And yet I'll wager there is STILL a lengthy queue of armchair experts willing to contest the details of the incident analysis.
It's well beyond question that the blow came from front left, it's obvious in every piece of recovered wreckage, but no doubt there's still one or two that'll argue with the metal. Never mind...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Renegadenemo wrote:
It's well beyond question that the blow came from front left, it's obvious in every piece of recovered wreckage, but no doubt there's still one or two that'll argue with the metal. Never mind...
Blimey! I have never seen a clearer invitation to all the Type III's out there to crawl out of the woodwork. Is this a cunning plan to flush them out and deal with them once and for all? :lol:
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Renegadenemo wrote:
Surely nobody is still seriously doubting that K7 received a massive blow to the left hand side during the crash? That said (and I hope I am not placing myself in Type III territory by saying this), I believe that there still remains room for doubt as to the manner in which that blow took place. The explanation that the boat landed on her left hand side fits in just fine with all the known facts except the film and photographic evidence. I am not contesting one shred of the physical evidence, just saying that I think something happened during the crash sequence that hasn't yet been got to the bottom of. (Puts tin hat on head and ducks below parapet) :?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

just saying that I think something happened during the crash sequence that hasn't yet been got to the bottom of
Was typing this when Mike replied so sorry for any repetition. A slightly fuller account.

You're quite right, it's far from obvious what happened but with a bit of study you can see it. When the boat is fully inverted in midair you can see that she's rolled in such a way that, were she the correct way up, she'd be right-sponson low. This roll was probably induced by the fin leading when it ought to have been trailing.
By the time K7 rights herself, immediately prior to impact, she's slightly left-sponson low and facing right of track. The left roll is about equal to the right roll, around 10 or 12 degrees off the horizontal, and she goes from one condition to the other in about five frames of film so there's a very quick roll taking place but the attitude at impact appears almost level.
The result was that the left sponson hit first and effectively levelled the front spar as the main hull continued to roll and twisted itself free. The cockpit frame failed first at the F-17 and F-19 horizontal crossmembers effectively flat-packing the cockpit sides against one another followed immediately by failures at both vertical frames that made up the cockpit sides at the same place, F-17 (roughly under the pilot's knees).
The right-hand wall from the cockpit rear bulkhead (F-15) to the tip of the bow (F-23) stayed together and sank in one piece, the left-hand wall snapped in two at F-17 with its after half sinking straight down and its forward half rolling completely under the boat to be spat out the opposite side like a skimming stone and splashing down 160m away. If you watch that video of the crash where it ends in three splashes with the safety boat in shot, the cockpit wall is the final splash.
The front spar tore out from left to right then glanced off the water and flew a further 120m along the boat's original track. It tore out the steering box, F-20 bulkhead and the right-hand cockpit rail as it went and deposited these some distance to the NE. The heavy sponson structure shot under the slowing spars stripping the upper fairings off with the left-hand fairing being crushed against the hull leaving some of it air-locked and floating whilst the right-hand fairings fluttered off in a loose collection of parts.
All the outer skinning from the left-hand side survived crushed against the frame while that from the right was blasted outwards in a million bits.
Having shed the cockpit and the sponsons the main hull entered the water on its side where the left air intake took a massive gulp of water and tripped the boat over, slamming it down hard onto her right-hand side. This crushed the other intake shut and hydroformed the side of the engine cover inwards between the formers for a distance of about six feet as well as bending the fairings on the tail fin away from the direction in which she splashed down and that's only what happened to the big bits.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Thank you, chaps ;)

rob565uk

Pic of the Day Sat 23022013

Post by rob565uk »

That Sponson top is just awesome - fantastic job chaps..... :)

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Lefty sponson itself- twelve feet of gleaming greenness- is looking bloody marvellous too; all credit to John and Richie for spending a long and sometimes difficult time in fettling it from the heap of parts we made them.
Have to second that and also point out that John and Richie made an appreciable number of the pieces too. When they took delivery all they got was the bulkheads and spar frames with no attachment angles or packing strips and there's by far more of those parts that any others.
What isn't widely known either is that the entire structure is designed to flex and bend and absorb energy and this is exactly what it does when you're trying to set things up at 90 degrees or whatever odd angle Ken had in mind. You get one corner of a frame set off nicely then go around the other side and set up its other side then return to where you started to find it's moved. Then you curse and swear at it, throw Sharpie pens around and finally sit an sob in a corner.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I think the originals were a mess for three reasons. One, we know they leaked and the design doesn't make it at all difficult to make them watertight at least. Two, Ken wrote on the drawings that large cavities were to be filled with 'Loy' yet he didn't draw any large cavities so he must've known that some were going to appear during construction and, three, you could never make those things accurately and still make a profit unless you charged an absolute fortune and it's my understanding that they were concerned with economy. There's further evidence in that the actual ends of the spars don't marry up too well with where they're supposed to fit onto the sponsons yet we're accurate to a millimetre throughout so the difference has to be in where they drilled the holes in the ends of the spars to bolt them down.

Mike - I think you should post one of your pics of how the sponson tops appear to bend inwards. That's quite an illusion!

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

He he... another illusion for the 'boat didn't land on her left-hand side' brigade. Another instance where what you think you saw is not what you get. You'd swear that inside face was curved.