Pic of the Day

Terminator

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by Terminator » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Fantastic shot of the " The Sponson Twins" hard a work "Thompson Twins" eighties group :D
I'll get my coat
Novie
"I've Gone "
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:51 pm

Fantastic shot of the " The Sponson Twins" hard a work "Thompson Twins" eighties group
Aye, but there was at least a half-dozen Thompson Twins and we have only the Two Sponsoneers.

Two more forward spar frames to build and one more outer skin (not including the lids as we've not looked at those yet) and the sposon cores are done.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Richie

Post by Richie » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:58 am

Argh..... I told you guys I am not photogenic hahahaha

(Crawls back into his cave with his precious)
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:25 am

Argh..... I told you guys I am not photogenic hahahaha
I thought that shot made you look all thoughtful and clever. Never look a gift horse in the mouth. :lol:

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Terminator

Post by Terminator » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:00 am

Southern Chris top man top welder. :D
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:19 pm

It's worth noting that the sponson fairings have two radii at the top. A relatively constant and tighter inboard one and a constantly changing, much softer outboard one. Today's pic of the day shows the frame as though you're stood at the back of the right-hand sponson looking forward. The tighter rad is the one you'd see looking out from the cockpit and the other is on the outside.
So what, I hear you say.
Well, just to say that it's bloody murder trying to capture that shape as it tapers down at the tip of the sponson then turns through almost ninety degrees to the horizontal where it wraps around the tip of the shoe.
Tomorrow, hopefully!

riding shotgun

Post by riding shotgun » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi All

This is my first post here, great work on both Bluebird and the Barracuda, are we allowed to ask what repairs you did on the Oxygen pack? i may have taken Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay to the ceiling of the world and all you tell us is that you repaired it! Mean b*ggers.

Colin

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:06 pm

Hi Colin,

Yes, you are allowed to ask. The top and bottom of it is that the set was designed, like everything else on that exped, to be lightweight and the aluminium frame was the very least they were ever going to get away with. It likely came off the mountain with some damage already but in the intervening years it had suffered other damage that had robbed it of much of what little strength it once possessed and it was collapsing under its own weight. It was also fractured at several of the welds and the attachment of one end of a webbing strap designed to go across the wearer's lower back was snapped off. We were given the job of putting it to rights.
Buckled Frame.jpg
It was buckled all over but mostly at the base on which it would normally stand.
Crushed Tubes.jpg
One end of the webbing attachment had been snapped off and a repair attempted with glue and a self-tapping screw.
Broken Attachment.jpg
This was cleaned off and welded back into place. There was a lot of fracturing at the welds because they were big, bulky gas welds that had way more strength than the thin-walled tubes. We carefully repaired the cracks and the tubes and slowly teased it all more or less back into shape but being careful not to lose its slightly beaten up character. There's nothing that can't be reversed either should a reference shot ever turn up of it looking battered coming off the mountain but the repair with the glue and screw rather suggests the damage came later.
We then stuck it all back together.
Finished Job.jpg
In the process we had our old friend and professional conservator, Louise Bainbridge prepare a full and detailed report on every millimetre of it so woe betide anyone who dings it now...
It was a real privilege to be asked to work on this - an amazing piece of history. Hopefully the folks at Dräger will be happy with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sbt

Post by sbt » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:33 pm

Having done some online research...

Only two packs came off the mountain. The other one is, presumably, the one in the Science Museum.

Of interest to Bill may be the fact that two designs were used. This is the Open Circuit one, there was also a Closed Circuit design which was used on the first summit attempt by Tom Bourdillon and Charles Evans, the first men to the South, lower, Peak. After they realised they werent going to make the North Peak they cached two oxygen bottles at high altitude that were instrumental in allowing Hillery and Tensing to reach the summit.

You may also be interested in this history of Everest, Oxygen and Human Physiology I came across. Although not mentioned there will, presumably, be some crossover into the history of Diving.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3607278/

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:16 pm

The closed circuit units don't seem to have been a big success. A problem with closed circuit kit in cold conditions is that moisture from the breath condenses out and up there it wouldn't take long for it to start freezing and clogging the scrubber. There's also the question of whether the soda-lime scrubbers would actually work at such low temperatures. They swapped out the O2 bottles when they deemed it safe to do so and left them where the following party found them next day with a third of their contents remaining. The closed-circuit push was abandoned due to insufficient margin with their gas supply yet had they used that last third they could well have got away with it.
There seems to be three designs of OC set. The science museum example has a much deeper frame at the base with a longer diagonal and the one that Tenzing is always pictured with has an extra rail at the top where he stored his sleeping bag or whatever it was. All the archive shots of Hillary show him with the type we mended but I've not seen a shot of him wearing it on the actual ascent.