Pic of the Day

ted.walsh

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by ted.walsh »

OOOHHHHH YYYYEEEESSS........ :D
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

That sponson looks absolutely right and truly magnificent. The meld of old and new metal is seamless to the eye.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

That sponson looks absolutely right and truly magnificent. The meld of old and new metal is seamless to the eye.
We didn't get much of that side back. Righty's sponson top is more than half original but with the left hitting first we didn't get as much back from that side. Never mind, though. The only original in our pic of the day is the section from where the front spar is inserted to the join with the nose. Not a big piece but it's been well recovered and now represents the rest of the original, now sadly lost.
We have that same section from the other side too as well as the removable cover aft of it that bore the 'Do Not Stand Here' legend along with its formers and the original end cap from the back of the sponson.
Just the root fairings for the main spar to sort now then a final fettle for the paint shop and we'll be into the systems.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Re: pic of the day
Righty’s K7 emblem has a pair of screws straddling the centerline and a single 0BA screw off to the right, while Lefty’s has an 0BA screw right in the centre of it and all the other screws are 2BA…and this is why between sessions Mike is kept in a padded room, staring into space and gently rocking back and forth.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
klingon

Post by klingon »

With a Handkerchief up each nostril,his underpants on his head and answering everything with WIBBLE-- :lol:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

And still wearing that original 2001 orange fleece :D
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

Another great Pic of the Day! Great sequence of the installation at the Ruskin, by the way. Much, much, better than the "installations" that you get at the likes of Tate Britain...well done to all involved. The pic reminds me of the one of the wrecked Orpheus at Pier Cottage. Very 1966!
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.
Gareth Hayes

Post by Gareth Hayes »

Today's pic is amazing IMHO. The pump is presumably an original part that spent over 30 years at the bottom of Lake Coniston. And yet in the pic it looks like new! Just shows the amazing high standard of workmanship you guys are putting in to K7
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Interesting progress and superb craftsmanship as always. :)
I think this has been mentioned before but what was it that led to the conclusion that RPM gauge was originally under reading?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I think this has been mentioned before but what was it that led to the conclusion that RPM gauge was originally under reading?
Basically, the generator is driven by the engine gearbox and geared to read from 0 to 10,000rpm but the indicator they used reads from 0-12,000. The generator is just that, a small 3-phase genny and the indicator is a small motor that runs in phase with it so it always indicates low on the 0-12,000 scale.
Hence all the carry on in 66/67 about the engine not giving its all and the Bristol Siddeley boys turning up the pump stroke until what likely happened is they ran the engine so hard that the indication was what they expected to see, the air intakes caved in and, eventually, the engine starved itself and flamed out on the first run.
Alternatively, it might have flamed out due to poor handling because its very basic pressure-ratio controller was found to be blanked off and isolated from the control loop so you'd have to be very careful on the throttle to avoid putting the fire out.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.