Pic of the Day

Renegadenemo

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:10 pm

Now if you put it alongside the original fuel metering valve from the fuel control unit and offered people the opportunity to test the "honeymoon fit" of the piston in its sleeve...
And I thought enjoying the smooth, sliding feel of match-ground metal on metal was a kink peculiar to me. It seems I'm not alone. That's a relief! I think I've worn a few thou' off it already.

As for the pic of the day - the steering wheel was very kindly made as a one-off and supplied FOC by a gentleman called Paul Banham of Steering Wheel Restorations.

http://www.steeringwheelrestoration.co.uk

More about it in the next diary, which I'm sitting writing now.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

alslad

Re: Pic of the Day -27/11/11

Post by alslad » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:15 pm

"This is the old engine being used to try out the systems but we might get a tune out of it just to thank it for all its self-sacrifice and let it feel the heat of combustion one last time before it goes in the skip."

If/when you do, please,please, pretty please film it and add it to the youtube channel!
Treat life's problems like your dog would... if you can't eat it or sh*g it, just pee on it and walk away

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:59 pm

We got some hilarious footage yesterday when Checkie elected to sit at the back of the engine and try to record the max rpm with his laser tacho during a dry motoring test of the start system. We warned him that it got VERY windy back there as the engine spooled through 1000rpm but, nothing daunted, he parked himself on a stool and resolutely aimed the laser at a blade on the turbine to which we'd affixed a piece of reflective tape for that very purpose. What he didn't consider was that John would empty a bottle of talc into the compressor at the crucial moment. It was like something from Tom & Jerry. We'll post some pics and video later in the week.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:54 pm

I am maintaining a dignified silence.....

The worst part is that I saw the bottle of talc but didn't believe anyone would actually use it.... I REALLY should know better by now :shock:

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't

bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:42 pm

Totaly agree with you Rob. You Really should know better by now. :lol: :lol:
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong

Jordangbr

Pic of the Day

Post by Jordangbr » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:47 pm

I'm still chuckling at it myself. You're a good sport Checkie!
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!

wbjohn

Post by wbjohn » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:52 pm

At least it was only talc this time, certainly not leaking what I was prompted to put through the engine :o
Good sport Rob, bet your better half thought you smelt lovely when you got home ;)

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:33 am

I'm still chuckling at it myself. You're a good sport Checkie!
I'll second that. A good sport indeed.

Anyone else would've dived for cover at the first blast of talc and, if it's any consolation, I first started laughing at John when he threw the first lot at the centre of the engine where the start turbine lives but it exhausts forwards so he got it straight back. :lol:

On a serious note, the development and testing on Saturday saw the system comfortably holding 1600psi after we'd snagged most of the leaks and reworked a component or two to squeeze in some extra o-rings. Then at 1650psi a small defect in the fitting on the left-hand bottle showed itself so that put an end to inching up the pressure but we did get the compressed air down to a reasonable temperature by going to 1500psi then blowing off 500psi to chill the bottles then topping them off again quick as you like. With denser air in the bottles and a tweak on the PRV we finally managed to match the performance set out on the old test sheets from Haywards heath in 66 for air consumption so that was a great result. We've the issue on the left-hand bottle fitting to sort and two minor leaks above the main air valve still outstanding then we'll be pushing on to 2000psi. We're not sure until we put it to the test but that ought to give us four healthy starts as long as the engine is warm for the final one. From there we can pare our requirements down as far as possible for operating purposes and hopefully end up with WP of only 1000psi and two good starts for K7's return to the lake.

mtskull

Re: Pic of the Day -27/11/11

Post by mtskull » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:09 am

alslad wrote:"This is the old engine being used to try out the systems but we might get a tune out of it just to thank it for all its self-sacrifice and let it feel the heat of combustion one last time before it goes in the skip."
You aren't really contemplating junking that engine, are you? :o
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:48 am

You aren't really contemplating junking that engine, are you?
It would need a bit of work to make it tip top and we already have a mint engine wrapped up and waiting so this one will likely be retired once we get all the systems up.