The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

polo

Re: The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

Post by polo »

There is supposedly the remains of a 617 sqrn [yes Dam busters] Lanc in Ullswater. Apparently it hit something and the pilot tried to land in the water near a beach for recovery purposes. The Lanc was supposedly stripped of 'secret parts for obvious reasons, but remains are still in the water about 15/20m down. It is rumoured the engines are still there with the aircraft frame.
There are a couple of American planes under south stack at Anglesey [not much left]but that's the sea.
I heard through the grapevine that a sunderland had been found in Windermere but it could not be lifted as it was very fragile. Is this a load of Tosh??
There are strong rumours in the Lancashire area that there were supposed to be some Spitfires hidden away in the war time in case the country was over run. These were supposed not to have been recovered and lie in wait for use [I wonder if they are with King Arthur and the knights ready to defend the country in time of peril?]
I am well aware that there were persons trained to fight a guerilla war if we were invaded and thats why this occurred. Unfortunately I know the latter part as fact. My Grand father died and I had to clear out his home and property at 'other location's'.I could have started a war with what I found, Lee Enfield rifles..a couple of cases, bullets lots of cases, Hand grenades etc.
I had a great time at Diggle with the army bomb disposal team 'disposing of it all.' They also were kind enough to give me info on my Grand father's training and expectations.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

There is supposedly the remains of a 617 sqrn [yes Dam busters] Lanc in Ullswater. Apparently it hit something and the pilot tried to land in the water near a beach for recovery purposes. The Lanc was supposedly stripped of 'secret parts for obvious reasons, but remains are still in the water about 15/20m down. It is rumoured the engines are still there with the aircraft frame.
I heard it was taken away by pixies on the next equinox...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

Or burried with a shovel.....
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!

bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

Both wrong. I have them all in my shed, every last one of them. Those burried spitfires, not anymore, dug them all up and they are now in me shed. Got a couple of barracudas in there too. All working as well. All stored safely behind the Bluebird sponsons they are. Had to shift Sherga into the kitchen to fit em all in mind. R 101 got three of them i have. No kidding mind, bloke in the boozer had them. ;)
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong

Stuart Baker

Post by Stuart Baker »

An architect involved with building the motor museum at Gaydon (former RAF base) told me years ago that the mound of earth next to the drive leading up to the museum contained the fuselages of several (can't remember how many now) retired Vulcans.

May be true... May be not... Any takers?

S

Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

Exactly how big is this mound of earth supposed to be?? :lol:

From what I was reading a month or few ago, the final whereabouts of every Vulcan off the line is known, whether crashed, scrapped, left outside to rot or saved. Added to that, I think Gaydon only operated Valients and then Victors, so wasn't even a Vulcan base.

All in all, I'd say another tall tale of buried treasure. I've just had a look on Google Earth to see if there's a giant cross in the area but can't find one. :D
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...

Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

polo wrote: There are strong rumours in the Lancashire area that there were supposed to be some Spitfires hidden away in the war time in case the country was over run. These were supposed not to have been recovered and lie in wait for use [I wonder if they are with King Arthur and the knights ready to defend the country in time of peril?]
You might be on to something there (the Arthur reference).

There are tales of buried everything from aircraft to steam engines. Are they a modern version of the comforting stories of ancient heroes sleeping until they are needed again?

I'd say that while Britain faced a threat of invasion every Spitfire would have been wanted for combat, there simply wouldn't have been any surplus examples to stash away.
Matt in Mid Wales

polo

Post by polo »

Knowing I would take some stick, I kept some info back.
The Lanc is in Ullswater just North of waternook / trallin Fell and was fairly well dived in the 80's and 90's.
2 spitfires were recovered from salt mines in cheshire along with spares a good few years ago. Unfortunately they were not 'blocked up' and so the weight had damaged all the undercarraige and surrounding areas. I have no idea where they went after recovery.
If memory serves correctly a certain WLSR holder by the name of George Eyston bought a load of surplus Merlins and Griffins. I am led to believe some of these ended up with the tractor pulling fraternity.
If I also remember correctly I put another contributer to this site in touch with a person from the Blackpool area who had a number of Merlin engines [ not supercharged if memory serves]who was a tractor puller of some renown.
If you want to see plane bits, go for a womble over Edale in the Peak district, there quite a few 'planes' in bits all over the place.

Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

There's a great deal online about Lancaster losses, diving sites in Ullswater and 617 Squadron but the only two mentions I can find of a Lanc in Ullswater are the post on here and someone on a diving site saying it's complete myth. The same goes for the salt mines in Cheshire, except the only mention of those seems to be on here.
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Must be a quiet news week in cloud-cuckoo-land. Can't win, can we. Just as we finally get Fecal Rantflapp in his box, Jackanory kicks off.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler