The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

mtskull

Re: The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

Post by mtskull »

There's a post on this forum from a diver who states that the Lancaster is a myth but who claims to have dived the wreck of a "small 4 engined aircraft that was mainly canvas clad" in Ullswater.
http://forum.divernet.com/showthread.php?p=18222
Mind you, that was in early 2007 and the diver doesn't appear to have touched on the subject ever again... :roll:
Last edited by mtskull on Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

bluebirdsback wrote:Both wrong. I have them all in my shed, every last one of them. Those burried spitfires, not anymore, dug them all up and they are now in me shed. Got a couple of barracudas in there too. All working as well. All stored safely behind the Bluebird sponsons they are. Had to shift Sherga into the kitchen to fit em all in mind. R 101 got three of them i have. No kidding mind, bloke in the boozer had them. ;)
That bloke in the boozer, was his name Lord Lucan by any chance? Would your real name be Aldridge Prior? :lol:
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

There's a post on this forum from a diver who states that the Lancaster is a myth but who claims to have dived the wreck of a "small 4 engined aircraft that was mainly canvas clad" in Ullswater.
OK - here goes. The only confirmed aircraft wreck in Ullswater was that of a Miles Magister. The story goes that it was on a training flight and the instructor was flying very low over the lake, too low, in fact, as it's notoriously difficult to judge height over calm water with the result that he dipped a wingtip and cartwheeled in. The story then goes on to say that the crew got off but succumbed before they could reach the shore.
Our search and recovery crew were later involved in a case in Ullswater where a father whose dinghy was becalmed only 20m off the beach with his two young sons aboard decided to swim a rope ashore but he cramped up and drowned before their eyes.

The Magister was recovered in the mid seventies by local divers and an ATC squadron and is now whereabouts unknown.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

Renegadenemo wrote:Just as we finally get Fecal Rantflapp in his box...
I've just noticed that he's been busy on Facebook telling the Bloodhound team how they should be doing things. I'm sure he'll be back once they lose patience.
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I've just noticed that he's been busy on Facebook telling the Bloodhound team how they should be doing things.
The perfect setting - he'll blend in nicely in there.

mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Renegadenemo wrote:
OK - here goes. The only confirmed aircraft wreck in Ullswater was that of a Miles Magister. The story goes that it was on a training flight and the instructor was flying very low over the lake, too low, in fact, as it's notoriously difficult to judge height over calm water with the result that he dipped a wingtip and cartwheeled in. The story then goes on to say that the crew got off but succumbed before they could reach the shore.
The Magister was recovered in the mid seventies by local divers and an ATC squadron and is now whereabouts unknown.
As I understand it, the Magister was flown by a solo student who managed to swim ashore but what is certain is that the Magister was: a) in the lake; b) fetched out of the lake (albeit in pieces); c) and shortly afterwards suffered the usual fate that befalls artifacts that are recovered from water without a plan to preserve them: i.e. it quickly fell into a much greater number of pieces.
As to whether any other aircraft may be in there, I agree that it does sound a bit far-fetched (but not entirely beyond the bounds of possibility) that an aircraft could end up in a lake without anybody knowing about it; personally I remain extremely skeptical.
What really puzzles me, though, is what sort of person would make a false claim to have dived and seen it? Are we looking at Type III activity I wonder? :?
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

As I understand it, the Magister was flown by a solo student who managed to swim ashore but what is certain is that the Magister was: a) in the lake; b) fetched out of the lake (albeit in pieces); c) and shortly afterwards suffered the usual fate that befalls artifacts that are recovered from water without a plan to preserve them: i.e. it quickly fell into a much greater number of pieces.
That's as good a story as any - now how many engines did that particular Magister have? And was it a secret variant used to knock dams over?

bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

While diving Loch Ness in the early 70s i had gone barely a mile down when i saw what looked like a B45 bomber on the bottom. I excitedly grabbed my camera to get a shot or two. Was just about to click the shutter when this blooming pliosaur type monster came into camera shot. Totaly spoiled my picture. Tried loads of times to get a shot of the plane but these buggers were all over the place. I couldnt hold my breath any longer so went to the top jumped on my raft and went home. If anyone has pics of a sunken b45 not obscured by water monsters i would love to see them. ;)
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

Now that's just being silly - everyone knows they're plesiosaurs, not pliosaurs!

PLIOSAURS in Loch Ness... Who on earth would believe such a thing...???? :D
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

As for the B45, I successfully salvaged it a couple of months ago, restored it to full working order by giving it a rinse down with a hose in my back garden and have since buried it in an abandoned tin mine on the Cornish coast, just in case the Chinese invade in the new year. Unfortunately, I was in such a rush to get it done before aliens trigger a solar flare that causes a mysterious planet to appear out of nowhere and smash the world to bits on the 21st of this month that I didn't get a chance to photograph or document it in any way, so I'm afraid you'll just have to take my word for it.