The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

sbt

Re: The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

Post by sbt »

Its about the timeframe I would expect extra assets to arrive, given the shift in location and the need to sort out basing, permissions etc.

Plus they will have been feeding the data into one of the search analysis programs which will be giving the a strategy that maximises the chances of finding more info. They have quite a lot to feed in - including that pallet with 'straps'. The French will probably have created a bespoke application for the AF 447 search, thats likely to have been at least offered. That will account for the more focused search.

HMS Echo (a Hydrographic Survey Ship) is on the way south from the Gulf with her state of the art kit, BTW.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The French will probably have created a bespoke application for the AF 447 search, thats likely to have been at least offered. That will account for the more focused search.
The French actually contracted a team of American statisticians who used Bayesian mathematics to assess the likelihood of the target being in any particular area. The gotcha with that accident is that neither of the acoustic beacons worked and the odds against that were very high.
Even then they had to put AUVs down to image tracts of seabed and they don't cover a lot of ground. I think the Woods Hole vehicles have a burn time of about 20 hours and can shoot about a 1000m wide swath so that's going to be low-res sonar and not a great deal of it. They got lucky in that the wreck was on flat seabed with no topography. It would have only taken a rocky seabed or a few hills and hollows and they'd have been snookered all over again.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

They're saying it's based on info from Inmarsat and AAIB but you can't help wondering if there's an Astute class boat sitting a thousand feet down listening to sound in the water from the beacons...

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Such a shame we haven't got an airworthy Mossie here in the UK. The last time I saw one flying was at Cranfield back in 1973 - and what a stirring sight it was in the hands of a pilot who knew it well enough to properly show it off (Pat Fillingham).

In the 1960s, several genuine Mosquitos were deliberately destroyed by movie-makers, right here on British soil where the type is revered. It was the easiest way to achieve realism in the crash sequences, but to smash-and-burn those lovely aeroplanes ...

A crime, really - viewed in retrospect. But that's life, I guess.

Nigel
klingon

Post by klingon »

True "Mosquito Squadron" and "633 Squadron" killed more Mozzies than the Luftwaffe!-Kermit Weeks in the States still has one of the 633 Mozzies but it needs the usual woodwork done to it-last mozzies I seen in the UK were in the late 50's coming into land at Hms Sanderling-(now Glasgow Airport) for some strange reason- :?:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
polo

Post by polo »

I was fortunate to have a Vulcan buzz my house just after the heroic bombing raid on the Falklands and in the 90's I had a mozzie 'buzz' my house several times.
Unfortunately it was apparently the last flying mozzie and as I watched it, it crashed about 3 miles from me. It was a sickening sight !!
The crash ended the air show at Barton.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I was fortunate to have a Vulcan buzz my house just after the heroic bombing raid on the Falklands and in the 90's I had a mozzie 'buzz' my house several times.
Unfortunately it was apparently the last flying mozzie and as I watched it, it crashed about 3 miles from me. It was a sickening sight !!
Once when we were having a barbecue the house was buzzed by an alien spacecraft that clipped the TV aerial and crashed into the pond. We'd just rescued these strange green fellows when the Americans turned up and marched them all away with their peculiar elongated thumbs cable-tied behind them - never been so sickened in all my life...

Richie

Post by Richie »

Interesting Mike ! I always thought that two engined birds had counter rotating engines for stability, weird seeing both engines in the same rotation ?!

When can we do one of these then ? It's only ply wood after all 8-)

Also there was this one time Michael Jackson came to use the bathroom at my house !
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
polo

Post by polo »

Hi Bill, instead of making daft comments, have a look on 'you tube', the crash is on there. Two men died, If you think that isn't sickening then ????

It is well recorded on Google what occurred annually at the 'Manchester Air Show' which was held at Barton Aerodrome, including the Vulcan appearances and all the other planes.

I live about 1 1/2 miles from Barton. All the locals used to watch the displays from the bridge that crosses the M60 because it gave a better view than actually being at the show.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hi Bill, instead of making daft comments
You mean the thing about being buzzed by Vulcans and Mossies wasn't your latest offering in a a long line of total fabrications?

Please accept my humblest apologies...