The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

quicksilver-wsr

Re: The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Looks like overnight, while I've been visiting my dear old Mum, the topic has shifted slightly on this thread - and I must say I'm glad we're leaving the TSR-2 debate behind. Just nobody mention the TSR-2 or the F-111 for a short while and I might forget all about it and give everyone some peace.

On the other subject ...

Raj Nangia - for those who aren't familiar with the name - is/was an aerodynamicist involved with the British Pursuit WWSR project. I won't say any more than that, as it is an awful long time since I last spoke to him (by phone, on several occasions, when I first got involved with Ken Norris on what later became known as the Quicksilver project) and to be frank I don't remember much about him, other than that I think he worked on the Concorde development programme.

I did, very early on, mention Dr. Nangia to John Stollery - and John did know who he was. In fact, I've just quickly checked on Google and I see he is still around today, working in the Faculty of Engineering at Bristol University.

Anyway - that aside - a word to you, Polo ... and I speak as a friend ... to save you getting a constant mauling on here, it might be better if you just gave out information straight and didn't get mixed up in mystery-making. After all, the British Pursuit project was a heck of a long time ago now, and surely there can't be any need nowadays for a shroud of secrecy?

What I'd do, if I were you - and I know what it's like to get a mauling on here, believe me - I'd just ditch the mystery element, come out with the information that counts ... the hard facts ... every time you post on here, and then leave it to others to either accept or reject.

You can't lose if you stick with straight facts and nothing else. Even if you get a mauling, you'll know you're in the right.

You have a lot of knowledge of the WWSR - a heck of a lot more than most. Don't present an open invitation to folks to shoot you down - which is what you do when you talk in riddles. Speak the facts straight out, as and when you impart information, and you'll have a lot easier life on here, and what's more we will all learn a lot of things we didn't know - as I take the very definite view that everyone on here has a lot of good knowledge that we can all benefit from.

I could have PM-ed this to you, but (a) the last time I tried to send a PM to someone - which was just before Christmas - for some reason it didn't send and I just can't be bothered to find out why, because I don't like computers, and (b) I'm not a great one for talking backstage - because, like I said, it's best just to come out with your truth, and then it doesn't matter who hears it.

Nigel
quicksilver-wsr

Hmm... fair enough.

All I can say about the dreaded “magic shovel” incident is …

Polo – why did you have to come up with a daft yarn like that!

Presumably, it was to deter unscrupulous trophy-hunters from diving the wreck.

But my earlier post still stands. Anybody can make a mistake. I must say I have made plenty in my time. Enough to fill Wembley Stadium.

Nigel
conistoncollie

Post by conistoncollie »

Sir Stanley Hooker shares his thoughts about TSR2 and its lasting effect on the British aerospace industry in his autobiography 'not much of an engineer'.
quicksilver-wsr

The TSR-2? No comment! :lol:

Where's "f1steveuk" ? As far as I remember a conversation with him and Ken Norris many moons ago, he (Steve) was a fan of that book.

Just ignore Sir Stanley Hooker. There's a lot brainier people today who speak fluent techno-babble/econo-gabble who have all the answers :roll:

Nigel
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

But my earlier post still stands. Anybody can make a mistake. I must say I have made plenty in my time. Enough to fill Wembley Stadium.
That's one thing but it's a far cry than penning more fairytales than the brothers Grimm.

When we rediscovered the wreck in October 2000 it was obvious that no one had been there since Futch's boys in 67, right down to the divers' footprints in the mud as revealed by our scanning sonar. There were just too many things left clinging on or lying about that divers would have nicked in a heartbeat.

The only thing marking the site now is a rectangular indent where the main hull lay and the lighting tower standing over where Donald lay - we left that there as a sort of a memorial.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Mike Bull wrote: 'P9374' is almost entirely new build, containing only the faintest shreds of the original aircraft- virtually nothing, really.
I wonder what they are going to do with all the LOOF that somebody went to so much trouble to recover from the beach?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

I think that goes for a lot of restored machinery.

The "easy" projects have been done, so people are now looking at what would have been considered beyond restoration a few years ago. Railway preservationists have moved from "restore from Barry scrapyard condition with all the big parts to hand" to "use this spare boiler, these wheels and this tender chassis along with a lot of new metal to recreate an extinct class".

The group building a replica Sterling seem to have a good plan. Their current target is to build the front fuselage, but as they say there's no reason why it couldn't be continued later if space and funds permitted.
Matt in Mid Wales
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I wonder what they are going to do with all the LOOF that somebody went to so much trouble to recover from the beach?
The current trend seems to be to melt it down and make it into man-tat. Cufflinks and such.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Mike Bull wrote: I suppose we've just moved into an era where most of the more complete derelict Spits have been restored, and wannabe owners/restorers have turned to the remaining crumbs- literally.
So, let's get this straight: perceived logic seems to be that, as long as you own the crumbling, unusable, remains of an artifact, it is acceptable to hide the remains, claim that that you are restoring/rebuilding the remains (whilst actually building a replica), then pass off the replica as the original.

So what is to stop a suitably wealthy individual acquiring a pair of cufflinks made from the LOOF, melting them down and incorporating the metal into another replica Spitfire, then claiming that theirs is actually the original on the grounds that it contains more original material?

A couple of years ago I postulated that it would be possible to restore the original Bluebird K4, starting with a handful of rusty screws surviving from when the hull was burned. That was said entirely in jest but it appears that truth has once again proven stranger than fiction.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Mike Bull wrote:With aircraft, the all-important thing is having the data plate- this gives you the provenance, and it doesn't matter how bad the rest is...

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/spitregi ... 374-2.html
I wonder: if you stump up the £1.5 million or so for the airworthy Spitfire, does that also entitle you to the actual remains that were recovered from the beach?