The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

Mike Bull

Re: The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

Post by Mike Bull » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:56 am

Anyone want a Spitfire?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ca ... e-32488837
01.jpg
A nice story and there was a very good interview with John Romain on the radio early yesterday morning, but, it's funny how it's never mentioned that you can't really say that this is the same aircraft that was recovered from the beach- 'P9374' is almost entirely new build, containing only the faintest shreds of the original aircraft- virtually nothing, really. Don't get me wrong, it's a stunning aircraft, but, many of us here will be running cars that are older!

I suppose we've just moved into an era where most of the more complete derelict Spits have been restored, and wannabe owners/restorers have turned to the remaining crumbs- literally.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:25 am

Mike Bull wrote: 'P9374' is almost entirely new build, containing only the faintest shreds of the original aircraft- virtually nothing, really.
I wonder what they are going to do with all the LOOF that somebody went to so much trouble to recover from the beach?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:33 am

I think that goes for a lot of restored machinery.

The "easy" projects have been done, so people are now looking at what would have been considered beyond restoration a few years ago. Railway preservationists have moved from "restore from Barry scrapyard condition with all the big parts to hand" to "use this spare boiler, these wheels and this tender chassis along with a lot of new metal to recreate an extinct class".

The group building a replica Sterling seem to have a good plan. Their current target is to build the front fuselage, but as they say there's no reason why it couldn't be continued later if space and funds permitted.
Matt in Mid Wales

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:11 am

I wonder what they are going to do with all the LOOF that somebody went to so much trouble to recover from the beach?
The current trend seems to be to melt it down and make it into man-tat. Cufflinks and such.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:44 am

Mike Bull wrote: I suppose we've just moved into an era where most of the more complete derelict Spits have been restored, and wannabe owners/restorers have turned to the remaining crumbs- literally.
So, let's get this straight: perceived logic seems to be that, as long as you own the crumbling, unusable, remains of an artifact, it is acceptable to hide the remains, claim that that you are restoring/rebuilding the remains (whilst actually building a replica), then pass off the replica as the original.

So what is to stop a suitably wealthy individual acquiring a pair of cufflinks made from the LOOF, melting them down and incorporating the metal into another replica Spitfire, then claiming that theirs is actually the original on the grounds that it contains more original material?

A couple of years ago I postulated that it would be possible to restore the original Bluebird K4, starting with a handful of rusty screws surviving from when the hull was burned. That was said entirely in jest but it appears that truth has once again proven stranger than fiction.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:14 pm

With aircraft, the all-important thing is having the data plate- this gives you the provenance, and it doesn't matter how bad the rest is...

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/spitregi ... 374-2.html

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:37 pm

Mike Bull wrote:With aircraft, the all-important thing is having the data plate- this gives you the provenance, and it doesn't matter how bad the rest is...

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/spitregi ... 374-2.html
I wonder: if you stump up the £1.5 million or so for the airworthy Spitfire, does that also entitle you to the actual remains that were recovered from the beach?

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:24 am

I wonder: if you stump up the £1.5 million or so for the airworthy Spitfire, does that also entitle you to the actual remains that were recovered from the beach?
A very fair question, though what someone with the wherewithal to buy the Spit in the first place would then do with a dumpy bag of salt-corroded crumbs is an equally valid point. Melt it into man-tat, perhaps.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

klingon

Post by klingon » Wed May 06, 2015 4:21 pm

If thats the case then anyone want to rebuild the Hindenburg?-I got a small paperweight cast from a bit of recovered wreckage-Bill you definitely would need those hammers! :)
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr » Wed May 06, 2015 7:04 pm

Buzz gave me a wristwatch with a bit of Lunar Module in it - but I sold it.

Does this mean I missed my chance to build a genuine NASA moon-lander? :lol:

Surely there has to be limits to everything. Even lunacy!

Nigel