The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

Jordangbr

Re: The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

Post by Jordangbr »

ImageImageImageImage

I managed to catch her at Blackpool a couple of weeks ago and hopefully may catch her at Southport in September.
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!

mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Reports appearing on the internet concerning the crash of a Hawker Hunter at Shoreham airshow today.
There are conflicting reports as to casualties, although it has been stated that the pilot was pulled from the wreck and taken to hospital. Here's hoping that he is OK and that nobody else has been hurt.
With typical journalistic accuracy, some reports describe the crashed aircraft as a "World war two Hawker Hunter" :roll:
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

Police are reporting (somewhat astonishingly) that the pilot was pulled out alive but in critical condition and is now in hospital. Seven people on the ground weren't so lucky, the Police also say that they may find further bodies. What a truly horrible end to what looks to have been a great day's flying.

Somewhat sickened by the comments posted on news stories by people who evidently don't know the first thing about aviation. Pilots certainly aren't a bunch of irresponsible joyriders.
Matt in Mid Wales

ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

UK's aviation regulator announces "significant restrictions" on vintage jets in air displays after Shoreham crash http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34044383

Such a shame but guess it was inevitable - lets hope there will not be any restrictions placed on running vintage blue jet powered hydroplanes...

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

I nearly posted yesterday to say that this would happen. Inevitable.

The key thing now is not whether things get back to normal in reasonably short order, but more whether it is adjudged safe for vintage jets to perform aerobatics at all at air displays in the longer term.

There is no point getting back to normal if normal means a repetition, as that might conceivably lead to vintage jets being banned from flying in UK airspace altogether - permanently, air display or not - which would be the least desirable outcome of all this.

Nigel

Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

It does smack of a plan which has been rumbling in the background for some time being suddenly pushed into action.

It's also very unlike the CAA - I can understand grounding Hunters until the investigation has determined whether the aircraft suffered a mechanical failure, but leaping to "no aerobatics, flypasts only"? Sounds as if they've been considering this for some time.
Matt in Mid Wales

StewDurham

Post by StewDurham »

Last ever wingover over land maybe.. I guess if they want to play with it one last time they could do it over the sea, but I doubt it'll be off Whitley Bay... :(

Strange weekend for Sue and me watching this unfold, awful to watch two old jets go down in less than a month. Rumours are that all air display have been cancelled for Carfest South.

Still going to Skylive, mainly to take our 5 year old to the funfair. I know it'll be a bit crap, but I feel I should support the attempts to keep the airshow open.

Sue's relieved about the ban on "high energy manoeuvres in old jets over land". - I don't think I would get her to Skylive if that was likely. Shame - I'd have liked to see the Saabs put through their places.

Stew.
Good luck to the BBP team, makes me proud to be British (and a North-easterner to boot!). Damn fine work, chaps!

ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Do the same restrictions apply to vintage prop driven aircraft or is it just jets? The prop driven stuff is older so statistically would be more likely to suffer from mechanical failure?

ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Thanks for sharing the link Mike, interesting and well put together article. Chris

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I want to make a set of those cowls for the Lanc'
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler