The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

sbt

Re: The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

Post by sbt »

mtskull wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:32 am It never ceased to amaze me that more survived than died in that crash; as it was, a combination of good design (fuel tanks which mostly maintained their integrity) and good fortune (the fuel tank that did rupture was empty, also the fire services arrived In time to put out a fire before it could spread), prevented the wreck becoming an inferno, which doesn't bear thinking about.
Another factor was the rapid intervention from a large number of organisations, including a number of 'passing motorists', some of whom who entered the aircraft, who gave immediate aid to the casualties and assisted in their evacuation. Apparently this resulted in adjustments to policies regarding management of the public at disasters.

Oh, and Kegworth is far from being the only 'crew shut down the wrong engine' accident there has ever been.
conistoncollie

Post by conistoncollie »

Standing behind a 737 as it takes off has ended unfortunately for a lady on Sint Maarten today
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

conistoncollie wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:14 pm Standing behind a 737 as it takes off has ended unfortunately for a lady on Sint Maarten today
I'm unaware of the specific circumstances on this occasion, but I have seen some very nasty injuries resulting from folks there not showing sufficient respect for the power of these planes in such close proximity.

I just wish, for their sake and the sake of their poor families, that they'd use some common sense.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/new ... 38561.html

Nigel
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

But have you seen Princess Juliana airport on St. Maarten? Looks like the best fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqVjD3nBSQg
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
quicksilver-wsr

It's rather too early to speculate, but the Typhoon crash bears tragic hallmarks of G-LOC.

There appears to have been no attempt to pull out of the dive and there was no attempt at ejecting either - at least, judging from what can be seen here.

Very sad indeed.

I saw an altogether happier display by a Typhoon a few days back. Amazing what a brilliant pilot, FBW, a lightweight airframe, a set of canards and a surfeit of power can do!

Reminded me of the BAC Lightning displays of yore. Almost as good! ;)

Nigel
Richie

Post by Richie »

Local police were busy the other day with a downed light aircraft in the Embleton area.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/loc ... t-13666377

perhaps some red faces somewhere, but luckily no one was hurt.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

Amazing stuff!! “ if you don’t stop, you can’t fail”
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..
quicksilver-wsr

Lawks! Skydiving from a mountain, into a plane ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-euro ... to-a-plane

Nigel
kneeslider

Post by kneeslider »

A rather sad image of XH588 as she stands now outside on the apron at Doncaster. Perhaps an abject lesson in how not to do post flight preservation?

I found it on the VTTS forums, along with several other images. Lots of angry folk posting over there. After the loss of their hangar, everything has just been dumped outside.