The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

rob565uk

Great Period Photo

Post by rob565uk »

An American relative recently sent me this great picture of my Uncle (bottom row, centre) with his crew in front of their North American B25 Mitchell medium bomber in WW2. I think it's a great period study and just loaded with atmosphere. I hope you all agree and like it as much as I do!
BhamBoys.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
Terminator

Re: The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

Post by Terminator »

Totally agree full of atmosphere, a picture capturing a moment in time with people no longer with us (apologies if any are still with us in said pic :? ) but who we shall never forget because that moment is forever captured/recorded for generations to come. Wonderful :)
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

Sign her up Bill, i could do with a nice bit of totty on the rivet team to help me out.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

From The Historic Aviation Forum (Fly Past) there is news that the Malta Aviation Museum are seeking a working Bristol Orpheus for their Fat G-91R/1b which they hope they can get running.

I saw this aircraft last year and it is complete apart from engine and some minor components that they're in the process of refitting. Apparently they've bought a couple from an Italian source.with zero hours and are currently fundraising to meet the cost. They have also managed to find parts which were removed or destroyed by the Italian Air Force before handing MM6387 NC191 over to the museum.
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Pullman99 wrote:From The Historic Aviation Forum (Fly Past) there is news that the Malta Aviation Museum are seeking a working Bristol Orpheus for their Fat G-91R/1b which they hope they can get running.

Apparently they've bought a couple from an Italian source.with zero hours

i would'nt bother, the thing wont know which way to spool up

ooooosh Risk'ay comment or what !

Mike, does that biddie do 3/8th rivets by chance ? I could get her oiled up with a throbbing hot rivet in her hand in no time (control yourself Rob...steady now)
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
klingon

Post by klingon »

best of luck-I searched all over the planet for one for K7!-theres one in Belgrade in a scrap gnat at the flight museum there but they won't let it go-well not to Brits anyway!
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

From BBC News;

Hope for finding Burma Spitfires.

The Spitfires were concealed by the RAF in 1945 to prevent them falling into Japanese hands
British and Burmese authorities could work together to find 20 Spitfires buried in Burma at the end of the World War II, officials say.

The case of the missing planes was raised when PM David Cameron met Burmese President Thein Sein.

A Downing Street source said it was "hoped this will be an opportunity to work with the reforming Burmese government".

The exact location of the planes is unknown.

The planes were buried in 1945 by the RAF amid fears that they could either be used or destroyed by Japanese forces, but in the intervening years they have not been located.

At the time they were unused, still in crates, and yet to be assembled.

Until a general election in 2010, Burma was ruled for almost half a century by a military junta.

It has been reported that experts from Leeds University and an academic based in Rangoon believe they may have identified the sites where the craft are concealed using sophisticated radar techniques.

On Friday, officials said President Thein Sein was "very enthusiastic" about the prospect of finding and restoring the planes.

A Downing Street source said: "The Spitfire is arguably the most important plane in the history of aviation, playing a crucial role in the Second World War.

"It is hoped this will be an opportunity to work with the reforming Burmese government, uncover, restore and display these fighter planes and get them gracing the skies of Britain once again."
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Jordangbr wrote:From BBC News;
Hope for finding Burma Spitfires.
Buried Spitfires, still in their crates?
-About 13 days too late with that story, methinks ;)
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

Aye, sounds far fetched enough...
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

Sounds far-fetched and too good to be true but has been posted online today by virtually every news oranisation.

From what I've been reading, they were sealed, waxed and had their joints tarred, so there's the possibility of them being found in unprecedented condition (as long as the crates haven't collapsed, of course!). Can you just imagine if all TWENTY were returned to the air? That's virtually a whole squadron, all of the same Mk and (one would hope) all in the same livery! 8-)
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...