The Barracuda Project

rob565uk

Re: The Barracuda Project

Post by rob565uk »

The apparently arbtitrary choice of two years for the "cooling off" period is rather bizarre. If they were serious about wanting the work to continue effectively and in a timely manner, surely any reasonable bunch of people would get round a table and find a way of continuing without delay - as Bill suggested in the radio interview?

There is clearly a big and nasty hidden agenda here, the details of which will probably never be known.

Unlike Richie, I have contributed very little to the Barracuda rebuild. But just like Richie, I will certainly be contributing no more - either now or after any arbitrary cooling-off period decided by someone who has never met me but who nevertheless has the gall to question my status as a Volunteer.

I don't work for people who behave like that.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't

riding shotgun

Post by riding shotgun »

Well done Bill for a great brilliant discussion, I think this is going to turn out to be another "data plate" build rather than any attempt at an actual restoration which is a terrible shame knowing that you already had it in hand to be as near as damn it all Barra, please correct me if I am wrong but this is the second time this rebuilt has come to nothing as the nose rebuild was also not finished either!

Colin

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

please correct me if I am wrong but this is the second time this rebuilt has come to nothing as the nose rebuild was also not finished either!
That's correct. They spent an awful lot of money on not a very good job then the project failed because the coffers were empty.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

So i suppose the best next step was to find someone who could do a prfessional job for very little expense. If it were me getting a job like this done to a very high standard for next to nowt i would think all of my birthdays had come at once, we would also have sorted the very expensive botch job on the front end to match the good work that would have been done to the rest of the plane, i dont think we would have been happy attaching that to our finished job. I totaly agree with those who think it will now rot or be a very poor copy made from new materials which will probably contain more cardboard than original Barra. Cant believe i have typed all of that without a single swear word. Only one loser in this.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong

mtskull

Post by mtskull »

bluebirdsback wrote:Only one loser in this.
It wouldn't be so bad if that were true; however the reality is that everybody, be they former Barracuda crew, their relatives, historians, museologists or just plain old aviation enthusiasts, is a loser as a result of this crass, rash, underhand decision.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

The "two-year cooling off period" bit is politic-speak of the most contemptuous kind.

Regard it for what it is. A second-rate euphemism for "We've kicked this into the long grass" ...

Nigel

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

They'd already tried the two year cooling off thing with me behind closed doors and they got the same answer. I reminded them that key to the success of the project was having the unit next door. There's a waiting list of people wanting those units and the chances of it happening to come available again when they wanted it and for us to be willing in the first place is virtually zero and that's without everyone having forgotten how to do Barracuda and having better things to do.
Of course, it was just an attempt to ease their stricken project out of the limelight without too much visible fuss but they obviously hadn't done their due diligence on that fat baldy Geordie up the road...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Notwithstanding what I have posted already, I have racked my brain trying to think of an explanation for the actions of the FAAM over this and! For what it's worth, picture this scenario:

Some grandee high up in the adiministration of National Museums of the Royal Navy is looking through the accounts of the FAAM in search of an opportunity to do some more cheese-paring, when he spies an invoice which he doesn't understand. He sends for a minion from the FAAM and the conversation follows thus:

"Simpkins, what's this invoice for?"
"Oh, that's for the rent on an industrial unit in Newcastle, sir. It's where they are rebuilding the Barracuda"
Grandee (who neither knows or cares what a Barracuda is), responds:
"Who is rebuilding it, and why the blistering barnacles are we paying them to do it in Newcastle?"
"We aren't paying them, sir; they are volunteers who work for nothing"
"I see. Amateurs, then. Now look, we have a perfectly good workshop at Yeovilton (thinks: or so I'm told, never been near the place). If we can get amateurs to work for nothing in Newcastle then we can get amateurs to work for nothing in Yeovilton, and we won't have to pay the rent on this industrial thingy."
"But sir, these volunteer chaps are very good; in fact they have achieved more in a couple of years than we ourselves have in the previous forty"
"Well, that's another good reason to kick them into touch; can't have a bunch of amateurs showing us up and making us look bad now, can we? Get this barra-wotsit, whatever it is, back to base forthwith."
"But sir, that will mean that it could take an awfully long time to rebuild the Barracuda, if we can manage to do it at all, and we have told the public that we are going to have it on display in a few years. There will be an almighty fuss."
"Can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs, Simpkins. I'll tell you what, feed the press some cock and bull story which makes it look as if these chaps from Newcastle are to blame; that should do the trick."
"But sir..."
"No buts, Simpkins. Get on with it!"

:roll:
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

mtskull wrote:Some grandee high up in the adiministration of National Museums of the Royal Navy is looking through the accounts of the FAAM in search of an opportunity to do some more cheese-paring, when he spies an invoice which he doesn't understand. :roll:
I listened to the interview and the spokesperson for the Museum almost let that reason slip out when he started down the line of there "being organisations in North Shields 'behind' the volunteers" At that point I expected him to say that BBP/Barracuda can get sponsorship money to pay the insurance premium (and possibly the rental on the unit). A funding route that the FAAM seem incapable of exploiting. I am no aviator but who now owns the ashes of Fairey?, ask them for monetary support.

Its money (or the need to spend less) behind this, as confirmed by the Friends recording job losses at FAAM.

My 2p worth. Maybe I should stick to Bye laws and fast cars, bikes, boats etc.....
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations

mtskull

Post by mtskull »

malcolm uk wrote:
mtskull wrote:Some grandee high up in the adiministration of National Museums of the Royal Navy is looking through the accounts of the FAAM in search of an opportunity to do some more cheese-paring, when he spies an invoice which he doesn't understand. :roll:
I am no aviator but who now owns the ashes of Fairey?
I think you will find that the ashes of Fairey have long since been well and truly scattered!