The Barracuda Project

Terminator

Re: The Barracuda Project

Post by Terminator »

Morning All.

Arriving at the workshop yesterday I was greeted by lots of activity and a L.G.V trying to get itself reversed into the yard. I guessed it could only be for the removal of the Barracuda sections! It is sad to see two and a half years of detailed work suddenly disappearing down the road :o And all because some Tweedy suddenly came into the equation and upset the whole operation that was ticking over nicely. However on the upside the Bluebird Project has gained some valuable people who are up to speed on the tools and now can lend a hand in fixing K7 :D

I have posted this morning regarding this matter as I think it is only fair that the people on this site are aware of what goes on re the Bluebird Project and the Barracuda project and the Museumologists. It will be on other forums but needs I feel to be highlighted on The Bluebird Project Forum also so that the sad ignorant individual who has brought this about can be seen in all his stupidity and arrogance. Links would be great Mike also so we can all get in the mix and some will probably let some steam off but deservedly so in my book old boy. :evil:
Novie
A sad day for the plane that will never be built? Well not to the B.P high standards anyway :cry:
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Sad as it is to say it, you people are better off with plenty of distance between yourselves and the FAAM. The only chance they had to get their Barracuda restored properly and they have blown it. Whatever regime is currenty in operation there is clearly corrosive and best avoided like the plague.

It is said that we live in a world dominated by PC these days. I have my own take on that, plainly evidenced by the FAAM's handling of this whole fiasco. PC it is, to be sure: a nauseating blend of Politics and Cowardice.

Nigel
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

It is said that we live in a world dominated by PC these days. I have my own take on that, plainly evidenced by the FAAM's handling of this whole fiasco. PC it is, to be sure: a nauseating blend of Politics and Cowardice.
Yes, sad to say that we really thought they were OK and we gave them two years' worth of heart and soul but they proved to be morons in the end. It's been a carbon copy of the old HLF debacle except that the FAAM were allowed to take their ball and go home once they'd paid their bills and discharged their various obligations. HLF could never find a way to part us from the ball though they tried enough tricks to do it.
On the plus side the tin boat effort has inherited more people, skills and tools from what was the Barra' shop so it's all to the good and the Barra' project won't be going away any time soon because we still have to deal with the small matter of the lies they told - they're not getting away with that so easily.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

Renegadenemo wrote:...we still have to deal with the small matter of the lies they told - they're not getting away with that so easily.
This is the point were I'd be calmly lacing up my metaphorical size 11 toe-tecs and loading something nasty into both barrels, before sitting back and waiting for the dust to settle a bit. That said, I'm not exactly known for diplomatic subtlety when it comes to calling someone out on their bulls***! :lol:

Whatever the approach, there really is no way in hell that they can be allowed to get away with it. You know to whose mast my colours have been nailed from day one, so I wish you all the best with it!

Ne te confundant illegitimi!
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

Mike Bull wrote:Best place to read about what's been going on is on the forum of FlyPast magazine- this link takes you to the right page and then you need to scroll down and go from post No.229 onwards.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthre ... P872/page8
Interesting to see someone with the usual "this shouldn't be aired publicly" line on there.

IMO it should! We're all paying for the FAAM via taxation, so we have a right to know what's going on.

There is a certain sort of individual who will say that (also expect comments on "airing dirty laundry" and "proper channels") in a lot of organisations, I experienced it in a voluntary group a few years ago which I and many others walked out of shortly after. They say it as they know that if they can force you to keep it private they hold all the cards. What they don't want is for large numbers of people to see all the facts, as at that point they lose control and will be forced to defend themselves.

In the case of the voluntary group I left certain committee members were ignoring the constitution, bullying anyone who disagreed with them (even constructive criticism could get you kicked out), and at the same time deleting comments on the group forum so that those who were being mistreated couldn't warn anyone else what was going on. They didn't want the wider world to learn what was going on in the group (while at the same time soliciting donations to fund it) as it would have brought their ego trip to a crashing halt.

Edit: I'm certainly not alleging that the FAAM has done anything like this! Merely providing an example of what the "not in public" mindset can enable.
Matt in Mid Wales
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

I'm not sure how that forum measures the length of time a member has been, well, a member, but if they've only appeared recently and only posted on that thread then it's certainly interesting...
Matt in Mid Wales
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

What appears to have happened with FAAM is that one individual has literally taken the huff and, supposedly with the backing of the trustees, has pulled the plug purely to demonstrate who is boss. Quiet digging amongst the trustees, however, reveals that the trustees have not been furnished with the whole truth.
And I've no doubt whatsoever that the impartial observer is an instrument of the FAAM sent to try and disrupt the steady stream of support. Another classic tactic of the bureaucratic way of dealing with things.

no1traumanurse

Post by no1traumanurse »

A very rare post from me.
Bluebird has facinated me since, age 5, I saw her death flight on the news. It upset me then, I cried when you brought her back to the living world, the occassional rebuild pic of the day brings down a mist. I found the project website back in hapless days and 50 years on I am still an almost daily visitor. Your dedication will probably go unnoticed by the wider public, but watching you learn and develop new skills down the years has been inspiring, I won't be the only one who wishes he had enough skill to be able to accidentally cut my finger on a piece of, to me, near history.

Then we get to the Barra. The plane itself held no deep seated interest apart from another chance to watch you all work your magic. I have never been to the FAAM and probably now I won't, why do I want to see something made out of cardboard and polyfilla thats sold off as the genuine article? The air shows I have been to leave me with mixed feelings when the historic planes appear, yes that is a real genuine Lancaster, but the Spitfires and Hurricanes containing 3 original rivets and an engine plate look nice but fill me with doubt.
The late posts on the Barracuda forum alluded to, jumped right off the screen, vested interest screamed to mind. The nonsense about airing dirty laundry in private is against the wishes of anyone following the build, we want warts and all, its how the team have operated since day one. Bill, Mike et al have been breathes of fresh air with their honesty down the years, they cut their teeth on the beaurocracy of the HLF and rose above it. Now the rug has been pulled on the Barra, I don't care whether its one lone guy wielding his pen or the result of a committee the end result is the same..stupid. Will the FAAM complete the rebuild? Who cares, it wont be to same standard and certainly won't be all original, which at the end of the day is why The Bluebird team got involved.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hi Traumanurse,

What an intriguing screen name - being of a helicoptering disposition I used to hang with the air ambulance crews so the subject at least has always fascinated me. And thanks for posting and for the kind words. We gave the Barra' a good crack and at least we can say we did a good job and did nothing wrong and our consciences are clear of any blame for what finally happened but, look on the bright side. The Bluebird Project now has more tools and volunteers than ever it did and tonight we started the final build on some spar fairings and other such small widgets. That is unquestionably a good sign as it means many of the big bits are finished.

And, you never know, the FAAM trustees might wake up soon and realise they've been led down the garden path and then perhaps they'll sort out their Barra' project and get those crucial to getting it back on the rails back to the table. Never say never...